Ambassadeur 4600 c3 help!

Started by RamseyReelRepair, January 30, 2019, 01:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamseyReelRepair

Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Robert Janssen

It appears as though you are missing a couple of washers, that go on either side of the ball bearing. They are quite small and make contact with only the inner race of the bearing.
The way you have it in the pics, the bearing is being squeezed by the spring washers, star and frame, essentially preventing it from rotating freely.
Everything else looks fine.

foakes

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 01, 2019, 06:34:44 AM
It appears as though you are missing a couple of washers, that go on either side of the ball bearing. They are quite small and make contact with only the inner race of the bearing.
The way you have it in the pics, the bearing is being squeezed by the spring washers, star and frame, essentially preventing it from rotating freely.

Yes, that makes sense, Robert!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RamseyReelRepair

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 01, 2019, 06:34:44 AM

Do you know what part number? I'm not seeing it in the schematic but I'm probably missing it.

West

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RamseyReelRepair

This is the only one I could find close to that foot number.

West

Keta

Shim washers are not on a lot of schematics.

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on February 01, 2019, 03:52:21 PM
This is the only one I could find close to that foot number.

West

4600 C3 schematic #99 03.  Try putting the flat washer between the bearing and wavy washers.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

exp2000

I think Keta has the right idea - we just posted at the same time.

This is from a schematic with what appears to have an identical configuration (9903).

Note the part numbers of the belville washer stack: see pics below.

The correct configuration is 5131,5131, 20650, Bearing.   =   ()│B

The washer config in your pic appears to be inverted.

20650 appears to be a stepped washer which will achieve the function that Robert mentioned - at least on one side of the bearing!

Providing that the contact face of the drag star does not impinge on the outer bearing race on the other side you are OK.

Whether this would account for the severity of your issues is another matter. But at least it will eliminate one problem.