bent handle options

Started by milne, February 07, 2019, 10:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Hi Guys,  hope this was the right section to post in.
I'm on another tear down and clean up, probably the worst condition one I've done so far.
Had to soak the spool in the end to get the line off, it had turned dark brown and looked fairly acetic, spool is worse for wear.
Anyhow, my question is,  the handle, this reel has done some milage, but I think I can save it.
Below is the Picture, you can see the kink in it and up by the counter weight.
It's a late 30's reel, so I'm picking German silver, I need to straighten it so it doesn't bind on the star drag.
Any tips or best methods to use,,  before I attempt something that may ruin it ??

Col

54bullseye

Use a vise with some small pieces of wood so not to damage finish. Sometimes you have to bend the piece past straight so when you relieve vise tension it stays straight. Just takes a little bit of ingenuity and patients. You can do it !!    John Taylor

1badf350

Yes do what John suggests with the wood. He also told me once to use some cut pieces of leather for work that may risk the finish. It was a great idea and worked well. I have straightened a handle or two using a vice, leather, and a few gentle taps with a rubber mallet or a regular hammer (cushioned again by the leather or wood). You must use alot of patience because you could snap the handle. You want to clamp it right at the start of the bent part where you want it to move.
By the way this is why the belt I wore for my wedding is cut up in my shop. LOL.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 07, 2019, 12:42:08 PM
By the way this is why the belt I wore for my wedding is cut up in my shop. LOL.
How sentimental... not. I went to a shoe repair shop and forked over $5 for a scrap piece of leather!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

droppedit

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 07, 2019, 12:42:08 PM

Are you still married Chris?
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

milne

Thanks guys,
                  Wasn't sure if any heat was required first or what the best approach was.
          Got down to the workshop and played around with the vice, cut a couple of pieces of webbing and have aluminium pieces to
      slide into the vice as well.
   Didn't come up perfect, but alot straighter now. Still has a slight kink but it will be more than acceptable now
  considering the condition everything else was in. Had everything soaking overnight, including internals, was an absolute mess.
  But, as you might notice by the side plate I've included with the straightened handle,  will be worth it if I can make it half presentable.
   Fortunately, the rings soaked up brilliantly, wasn't expecting them to come out with such minimum chrome loss, Spool is a different story.
Will post up pick once cleaned up and re assembled.
Thanks for everyones advice.

Col

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

milne

Thanks Darin,
                      I'm excited about this one, even with the condition I found it in.
              Hopefully she will be presentable.

Col

milne

Ok, got it all cleaned up, apart from the reel clamp ( maybe a lost cause)
    It has major alignment issues internally, it's a wee bit beyond my present skills, so I reassembled it all cleaned up
    and will be a job for another day.
  This 4/0 first generation, will sit nicely with my 2 others, 9 & 12,  still a few to go to complete that collection !!
 It probably didn't come out very sharp, but I'm lovin the grain in the handle..........
  She was definitely used,,,, what it was built for I suppose,  great patina....

Col