Which conventional for crab snaring

Started by Jkjhung, February 20, 2019, 07:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

A Penn Fathom, Squall, Shimano 20/40 or Speedmaster if you can get one, Daiwa Saltist, SL50, SL30, The grandwave series, they all good. Even the Fin Nor Lethals are very decent. Doesn't look like you need anything with serious drag or power to reel in crabs? Fascinating fishing by the way, my son mustn't see this because that's what I will be doing from one of our sandy beaches then this weekend and made to eat sand crabs!

Ron Jones

Looks to me like you ned decent retrieve with medium drag. This may actually be a place where he 149 wuld shine.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

I have lots of blue crabs in the local beaches but I havent had time to build me a crab snaring box yet.
my intended rod to use is a 11ft jarvis walker tuff tip glass rod that could handle 8oz or more with no problem and a sealine-X 40HV with 25# mono or a saltist 20H with 50# braid and long leader of 30#mono and probably an abu 7000 since it cast really nice.
The Baja Guy

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: Cor on February 21, 2019, 11:44:15 AM
Can't help thinking how that device would snare the bottom if you tried it somewhere other then on pristine sandy bottoms. :o

Places where I fish your hook, swivel and sinker gets stuck nearly every time.

These snares are targeting crabs of the Cancer genus.  The principle target is the Market Dungeness crab (C. magister), found in sandy areas.  The Rock crab are also found in the sandy areas, but usually close to structure.  Rock crab are more reddish with black tipped claws and legs.

The Market Dungeness crab are desirable, and highly regulated with restrictive size limits, bag limits, and closed areas and closed seasons.  Other crabs have larger bag limits, no or smaller size limits, and no seasonal closures. 

Shark Hunter

Thanks for that Link Reel Newb. I had to register to see it, but I know I can build that. I already have all that stuff except for the welded hardware cloth.
Just checked the regs and it is legal in Florida as long as they are blue crab, which is exactly what I'm after.
It just looks like fun. Those Blues are very mean. I just have to be careful that they don't latch on to me.
I'm not looking to Harvest any fish. I just love the sport of catching them. There is always the option of some blue crab claws for dinner!
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Not much meat in the claws Daron, it's all in the body meat.My favorite way to eat them is in Maryland Blue Crab cakes. Down here in FL. they taste like $#*^#$. Not the crabs but the way they are prepared.

Reel Newbie

Just a suggestion, shark hunter, maybe you should try to use about 100 lb or so mono to tie the snares instead of weed whacked line. It seems like it might be too stiff for smaller blue crabs. In the spirit of crab snaring, you might have some luck with a crab hawk or another brand of castable folding nets for blue crabs.

Shark Hunter

I'm going to buy one off ebay to use as a model.
I have pretty much everything to do it except that heavy welded hardware cloth.
I have used hardware cloth many times to keep those damn chipmunks out of my drain tile, but I can't find that heavy stuff around here.
This is something I want to do just for fun.
I've spent many a long night on the beach waiting for Jaws.
This could be something to pass the time and maybe a crab feast.
Not sure where you reside, But Blue crabs get pretty big. I've caught them in a shell catcher that were at least 8" wide.
They are some mean Hombre's when you drop them on the beach. Claws up!
Life is Good!