Penn Spinners — Always Impressive and Amazing

Started by foakes, March 09, 2019, 11:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Besides claiming not to like working on spinners, Alan has been so busy with a giant backlog of reel work on his bench (200+).

So, occasionally, he asks me if I would do a few spinning reels for his clients from time to time.

And I am always grateful for the work — thanks, Alan!

Alan's client sends me (3) Penn SS spinners.  Sez to just do whatever they need.  They have been used for years rock-fishing in Monterey Bay — as well as Baja fishing in the Sea of Cortez out of Pangas.

Salt encrusted inside and out — screws, threads, drag stacks, lots of white crystals fusing the reels since it is all salt water fishing.  Some rust inside.  And they were each stored in a plastic bag.

Started on them yesterday afternoon, soaked parts in white vinegar overnight — then this morning all metal parts were soaked in lacquer thinner — then the US cleaner.  Parts rinsed, dried, burnished and polished.  Painted and plastic parts were soaked overnight in Dawn dish soap and water.

Assembled the (3) this morning.

In total, all the parts needed were a few new drag washers, a bail spring, bushing cap screw, and a new bail arm screw — that was it!  I have plenty of parts for these — but few were needed — even though these reels were fished hard.

Assembled, greased for the salt with Yamaha Marine, syn oil, Cal's drag grease on the CF's, and popped off the bearing shields for proper cleaning and greasing.

The drags were all dry, and had never been greased with Cal's.  He will notice a smoothness, lack of sticking drag, and better fish control.

It is always amazing how these quality older reels are able to come back even stronger than when new — with just a little cleaning, lube, and attention in the right areas.

Reels were a 550SS, 650SS, and a 850SS.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Christopher M Songer

Very kewl. A reel testament to those Penn spinners. 
Always go forward, never go straight

festus

You did a good job, sure can't see any evidence of salt. 

I've never worked on a Penn spinner, but wouldn't be afraid to tackle on of those.  Not too complicated, effective design.

gstours

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,  great pictures,  good post.  Very positive.   Butt reels are like girls,  there's many choices,  choose wisely.🤦‍♀️     🙊.   🎣

Darin Crofton

Tight work there, Fred, love them ss spinners, caught my first yellowfin tuna on an 9500ss in Venice, LA a 110#'er on a top water popper 20 yrs ago...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

oc1

Alto Mare

Great work as usual Fred, he will be very happy with those.
I'm kind of partial to the SS Spinners  ;D :
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2937.msg18371#msg18371

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Fred! Nice to see some "crusty ol' codgers" reformed.  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)