The Ohana at Work, Thank You Sal!

Started by Rothmar2, February 22, 2019, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

A post to show the generosity of the Ohana. It will come as no surprise to many who the pivotal person is here though. I would have liked to have added some pictures, but I currently am unable to, due to some problem with uploading onto the site  galleries. But this post is a well due "Thank you", as you will see....(edited this first post thanks to Mike (mhc) kindly uploading some photos last night)

About a month ago I gained a new client, who had a whole bunch of reels in need of various servicing and repair. Amongst them a Shakespeare X-terra spinner, which had a broken 1/4" hex brass drive shaft that goes through the main drive gear. This shaft had been twisted and had snapped. Now this particular model of reel is a typical budget reel, actually not worth the trouble, as you could buy a replacement for $60AUD. But the client said it was his son's favourite, and that he was really devastated when the drive shaft broke. The client had tried to buy a replacement through distributors out here in Australia, but typical of the industry as whole out here, had no luck or help. I said leave the reel with me, and I'll see what I can do.
 My first thought was to check the reel internals out, just to see if it was going to be worth a repair. Surprisingly the drive train was actually in good condition, and only having one ball bearing supporting the pinion, with the rest of the reel utilising brass bushes, it was a simple robust reel, that definitely had plenty of life left to give. I decided it would be worth putting some time into it. I looked through my stocks of salvaged parts, but had nothing the right size.
 I felt there was no point just replacing the shaft with another brass shaft, if I'm going to make a whole new shaft, it might as well be stainless. So I started my search for some 1/4" SS hex stock. I soon realised that this wasn't going to be as easy as I first thought. After searching online sites and making some calls locally, the only option I was left with was to purchase a whole 1 metre length of 404 SS stock, which would cost $70AUD by the time it was delivered from the mainland!
  I had a look at Mc Master Carr's website, and it was possible to purchase a 6" length of the same stock, for the princely sum of $4USD. I reached out to Sal, to ask if he would be willing to accept delivery for forwarding onto Australia. He duly ordered and received it, then was generous enough to pay for the postage all the way to Tasmania, Australia! Despite a few PM's from me nagging him to receive renumeration for this, he has stubbornly refused to give me any details to repay him!!! Anyway, I have his address, and something will arrive in the mail in the future. The stock arrived at my place within 2 weeks.

I was then able to make a new drive shaft to suit the reel, and now a child in a far off land, can fish with his favourite reel, thanks to the generosity of a man from the other side of the globe. The child and the man will almost certainly never meet, but will share the spirit of angling with a bond of unconditional generosity.
  To Sal, a sincere "Thank You" from me, to allow me the opportunity to repair this reel for this kid. I big "Thank You" from him and his father as well.
 The AT Ohana, is a shining light, in an increasingly un-sympathetic world!

oc1

Zimbass

Well done Sal. Restores one's faith in mankind !!

Cheers,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Darin Crofton

Amazing guy, Sal is top-notch! Great story, thanks for sharing! Ohana lives!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Hello Chris, I'm glad I was able to help with this.
The young man will get many years of enjoyment from that reel, especially after you've been in there.

We really should be focusing on what you have done, this is a very good upgrade and Shakespeare should be giving you a call :).
All my best Chris, anything else you might need, don't think about it twice, you do a lot for our site.

Cheers!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

This puts a big broad grin on my face, the Ohana ;D

mhc

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 22, 2019, 11:19:34 AM
This puts a big broad grin on my face, the Ohana ;D

X 2 - even more so knowing Chris has trouble finding time to work on his own reels and I'm sure Sal would have a few projects he could spend some time on as well. Thanks for keeping it alive.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Well said Chris, I am surprized Sal had any spare time, with his projects he has on, yes the tani forum is full of OHANA good people, well done Sal, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

steelhead_killer

Love reading this!  Nice way to start the day!

Andy
><)))">

oldmanjoe

:) :) :)     "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,"      Amen
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Great story!  8)  Sal is truly a stand-up guy! I know from personal experience.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Just another day in the Life of the Alan Tani Ohana...

This is what makes this site special and unique from all of the others.

After one joins up — then it is up to each to take it further if they wish to...

True respect is never free — it is always earned.

Thanks, Sal & Chris!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Huh! And someone said there is no such thing as a free lunch.  Obviously they did not know Sal.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.