The Ohana at Work, Thank You Sal!

Started by Rothmar2, February 22, 2019, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Sal was a good friend, although we never met face to face. We met on eBay in 2008 after he saw me selling some new old stock penn parts. He kept nudging me to join this forum, but life was too busy for me(new boat) and I did register as a member, but didn't post on the forum until a few years later.

Sal and I sometimes butted heads because I would send him NOS obsolete Penn reel parts and I refused his attempts to pay for them. Somehow he always managed to twist my arm and repay me with a part or offering to fix a reel. I would often pick his brain for help on an issue with a reel. He could somehow fix a reel via email. Not easy to do, but piece of cake for Sal.

Fast forward to 2020 and I found myself in a rather embarrassing situation. I had a couple kits that needed assembly, but my crippled hand had gotten much worse and actually lost my thumbpad muscle and 2 fingers went numb. Yep it was my right hand, and my left hand cant run a screwdriver or pliers very well. I had chatted with Sal about these builds and he demanded I send the parts to him and he would build them. I told him I was still gathering internals, but he said no worries, just send what you got. I agreed only if I could pay for the parts that were missing. This was last April, in the midst of his cancer therapy. I was reluctant, but his stubbornness finally won and I sent him a Cortez jigmaster 99 kit, and a T60XN kit with Cortez plates. I wanted to do something special for him, so I had some custom stamps made and tossed in a bunch of hangtags. He is a proud man and doesn't boast about his work, but I was hoping he would use them on all future builds.

Sometime in July he sent me back the 2 reels, and both were built to the hilt and he refused any payment for all the parts. Mind you, I didn't even have a donor reel for either one, and the few internal parts I sent, he sent back in a ziplock. Sal had put complete internals in both and wouldn't let me pay. I was always one up on Sal, but he really got good me on these reels. Hard to argue with a guy that was fighting for his life. I sure miss his presence on the forum, but am proud to say I learned a lot from Sal. Reels, friends, family, and fishing, and state of mind.

Anyway, these 2 reels live in my glass display case where nobody gets to see them, so I figured I would share these gems with the Ohana....and a little note Sal put in the box with the 2 reels

My apologies for the long post, but just a few sentences wouldn't do

Ted

P.S. click on the picture for high definition
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

pjstevko

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 31, 2021, 06:45:04 PM
Sal was a good friend, although we never met face to face. We met on eBay in 2008 after he saw me selling some new old stock penn parts. He kept nudging me to join this forum, but life was too busy for me(new boat) and I did register as a member, but didn't post on the forum until a few years later.

Sal and I sometimes butted heads because I would send him NOS obsolete Penn reel parts and I refused his attempts to pay for them. Somehow he always managed to twist my arm and repay me with a part or offering to fix a reel. I would often pick his brain for help on an issue with a reel. He could somehow fix a reel via email. Not easy to do, but piece of cake for Sal.

Fast forward to 2020 and I found myself in a rather embarrassing situation. I had a couple kits that needed assembly, but my crippled hand had gotten much worse and actually lost my thumbpad muscle and 2 fingers went numb. Yep it was my right hand, and my left hand cant run a screwdriver or pliers very well. I had chatted with Sal about these builds and he demanded I send the parts to him and he would build them. I told him I was still gathering internals, but he said no worries, just send what you got. I agreed only if I could pay for the parts that were missing. This was last April, in the midst of his cancer therapy. I was reluctant, but his stubbornness finally won and I sent him a Cortez jigmaster kit, and a T60XN kit with Cortez plates. I wanted to do something special for him, so I had some custom stamps made and tossed in a bunch of hangtags. He is a proud man and doesn't boast about his work, but I was hoping he would use them on all future builds.

Sometime in July he sent me back the 2 reels, and both were built to the hilt and he refused any payment for all the parts. Mind you, I didn't even have a donor reel for either one, and the few internal parts I sent, he sent back in a ziplock. Sal had put complete internals in both and wouldn't let me pay. I was always one up on Sal, but he really got good me on these reels. Hard to argue with a guy that was fighting for his life. I sure miss his presence on the forum, but am proud to say I learned a lot from Sal. Reels, friends, family, and fishing, and state of mind.

Anyway, these 2 reels live in my glass display case where nobody gets to see them, so I figured I would share these gems with the Ohana....and a little note Sal put in the box with the 2 reels

My apologies for the long post, but just a few sentences wouldn't do

Ted

What a great story, thanks for sharing!!!! I think we should start replacing the word "Tanked" to Sal'd!!!!

Bill B

Great story and good memories.....Sal was a good friend to many here.....miss the guy.Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

milne

Thanks for sharing that Ted.........

Col

bhale1

Awesome Ted!!! Great story, about a couple of great guys.....
I would have a hard time not fishing them at least once ;D
Brett

Paul Roberts

Well, I'm new here. But as an avid reader of the site, I feel I know Sal a bit; At least share his interest and enthusiasm for older reels. Sal's contributions and inspiration certainly live on. Thank you, Sal.