2 dogs in a 349h

Started by Swami805, January 24, 2019, 04:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Thanks for the tips. There's a small bit of side plate under the bridge there, I just kept cutting until it worked, I'll know better on the next one. I'll file another dog so it will sit better in the ratchet and see what kind of angle I can get if it's a little longer, the limiting factor is using the bridge screw as the pin. I'm sure it's better using a pin on the bridge just don't have the tools or know how to pull that off, It's a second dog for hacks.
Before I do another I'll test this one and see what kind of drag it can take, I know that insert can get some serious drag. The stock dog has 2 contact points on the ratchet so if this one fails it should still not go knuckle buster I'd think. The 2nd dog took out most of the handle slop since it alternates which is nice.
Alex, Newell made those spools for the 349 back in the day, not alot of them around,I just got lucky. I have one in my Cortez kit, I bought a reel to get it. The 349H was a popular wahoo reel since it moves a lure fast and decent drags for that size fish.
Thanks again, Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

If Penn had sold 349/349H reels with aluminum "29L-349" spools I think they would not have been discontinued in the mid 80's.  Unfortunately as far as I know Penn never made a aluminum spool 349.  I have Newell and Tiburon aluminum 349 spools in the reels I fish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mhc

A bit late to the party, but jurelometer makes a good point about the dog pin being on or close to a tangent with the ratchet. I've got a couple of dogs you can have if you want to try them - I copied Redsetta's double dogging of his Monster Mariner a few years ago, using the bridge screw as the dog post. The dogs were made by Lee, the first dog was one of his later 349 versions and the second a custom longer dog I fitted to achieve alternating engagement. There were close up photos in the following post but they seem to have been lost in the photophucket debacle. The fifth photo down shows a view of the two dogs on the bridge & I've attached a photo of them with a couple of springs I made. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13492.0
I've since put posts on the bridge and won't need them again so if you want to try them, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll pop them in the mail. NC

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Swami805

Thanks Mike, I had read that thread before I started but without pictures I went off the reservation a little bit. Would b e great to get those parts you made , I'll send you a pm. Thanks again Sheridan

Swami805

An update, Mike (mhc) was kind enough to send me the dogs he'd made and PM'd me some very helpful advice about a better setup for the dogs. Had a chance to put it together, dremeled a new plate so no funky hole in it and it matches the other side plate.
Thanks Mike, hope to put a beating on the reel in a few months!
Sheridan

Darin Crofton

Great job, Sheridan, and awesome of Mike to hook you up! Are you going to put in a ss sleeve? I put a ss 113h sleeve in mine and it works great, Lee told me it would work and of course he was right!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mhc

Looks good Sheridan, glad they survived the journey! (Aus Post have lost a couple of my parcels over the last 6 months)

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Swami805

It needs an SS sleeve for sure with the drag insert so I'll get one. Thinking I'll spool it with 80lb braid, rockfish opens here next month and the new depth limit is 450'. I'm thinking it should work pretty good for that.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Swami805 on February 25, 2019, 02:03:53 PM
It needs an SS sleeve for sure with the drag insert so I'll get one. Thinking I'll spool it with 80lb braid, rockfish opens here next month and the new depth limit is 450'. I'm thinking it should work pretty good for that.
Sounds like a great match, I've also heard some say they love these for deep water Tilefish. I'm def taking mine next deep dropping trip...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?