Loose handles on cheap spinning reels.

Started by lifeofRiley, February 26, 2019, 10:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeofRiley

A buddy of mine gave me 3 cheapo $50 quantum spinning reels to look at. He said everything was fine until he switched the handles to the opposite side of the reel body and now there is a little side to side play. I checked the schematic and everything appears to be in its proper place. I will double check again for the sake of redundancy. In the meantime does anyone have any tricks to reduce the play/tighten up the handle? Perhaps I could add more shims or washers? If so is there a place where I could buy an assortment of shims and or washers for situations like this? Thanks for any advice.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

boon

How do the handles install? Hexagonal shaft through the reel with a threaded cap on the other side, or threaded handle shaft that threads into the main gear shaft?
If it's the threaded type, sometimes the collar on the handle shaft is also threaded and can unwind slightly down the shaft which prevents the handle winding all the way into the main gear. Happens all the time with Shimanos with this kind of handle.

Jkjhung

Quote from: lifeofRiley on February 26, 2019, 10:02:56 PM
A buddy of mine gave me 3 cheapo $50 quantum spinning reels to look at. He said everything was fine until he switched the handles to the opposite side of the reel body and now there is a little side to side play. I checked the schematic and everything appears to be in its proper place. I will double check again for the sake of redundancy. In the meantime does anyone have any tricks to reduce the play/tighten up the handle? Perhaps I could add more shims or washers? If so is there a place where I could buy an assortment of shims and or washers for situations like this? Thanks for any advice.

I just had this same problem with my old penn battle. The handle elbow had some side to side play. Before screwing in the handle, I cut a small strip of saran wrap  and wrapped it evenly around the elbow where it was loose.  Worked well as a diy shim. No complaints so far