Penn 49A Main Gear and Drags

Started by Dominick, March 19, 2019, 11:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I took my 49A apart for servicing.  It was loaded with green candle wax.  I was having problems with the drag and anti-reverse.  Upon inspection I found that the dog was not working because of the hard green grease.  The grease was like candle wax.  The main gear was installed upside down.  I don't know if this is the right main gear because it only has one drag.  The main gear is only 7mm wide and it holds one drag, one keyed washer, and one eared washer which brings the stack up even with the top of the main gear.  Over that there is a keyed washer.  I looked for a 49 tutorial and there is none.  Something is not right.  Any advice will be appreciated.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Not what you're looking for, but the first pic should show the original drags
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6197.msg52039#msg52039

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i can do a hand off when i see you thursday!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on March 19, 2019, 11:21:10 PM
i can do a hand off when i see you thursday!

I accept.  Do you have any delrin washers?  I'd like to put one under the main gear.  I also need a tension spring (part No. 8-60).  I have a Super Mariner 49 that I took apart to look at the drag set-up.  That set up is exactly what I need.  There were no drags in the 49A reel.  The one thick drag-like washer looks like it goes under the main gear.  The main gear needs something underneath as there is a lip close to the bottom of the sleeve so the main gear does not sit flush with the bottom of the sleeve without something under it.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 19, 2019, 11:18:09 PM
Not what you're looking for, but the first pic should show the original drags
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6197.msg52039#msg52039

Sal

Thanks for the photo, that helps immensely.  Alan has the goods I need.  Dominick