marc's whaler and his new downriggers

Started by alantani, May 10, 2010, 03:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

hope he doesn't mind my posting this.  marc and i spend most of yesterday working on his scotty manual downriggers.  we strung them up with spectra, then i tied up a bimini and tied the ball bearing swivel with a double uni.  we took apart the the down riggers and cleaned up the brakes, added cal's grease, and i even snuck in a penn #6-49 drag washer in between the top of the spool and the metal pressure plate.  the "drags" were set to 25 pounds.  pretty smooth, i thought.  we also cooked up 50 pounds of lead and made him four of the 12 pound downrigger weights.  looks like he finished mounting his downriggers sometime today.  very nice looking boat.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marc_S

Alan I can't thank you enough for all of the help you have given me. Not only for the several hours of your Saturday yesterday, but also for all of the other times over the last 7 or 8 years that I've known you. I really value your friendship and I hope to have the opportunity to repay you in some way. At a minimum I owe you 50 pounds of lead, two cases of Bass ale, a dozen cable clips and something else I have in mind that will be a surprise.

I wonder if I am the only fisherman with custom Alan Tani rebuilt downriggers with modified and improved drags LOL. They are perfect now and as you can see I took your advice on mounting location. When I drilled the holes for mounting the plates I stuffed them full of silicone before putting the stainless through bolts in place. The holes are completely sealed from water intrusion. Now I just need to get on the water and put them to good use! Fortunately my boss wants to go fishing so he's telling me to schedule the job for us to take some time off soon. I think I'll keep him around :-)

Marc

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!