Rosonol doesn't contain Naptha any longer?

Started by basenjib123, March 26, 2019, 05:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

Went to buy some more Rosonol and was surprised to see that NAPTHA is not longer listed as an ingredient.  Anyone else notice this?

festus

No, sure haven't.  Do you think maybe the ingredient was taken out on account of lighter fluid huffers who got high on the stuff.  ??? ::) :o >:( :-\

philaroman

I can't even find ethanol >70%, unless it's denatured ???

DAMN GUBMENT !!!

Midway Tommy

Why not just buy plain naphtha? It's cheaper than lighter fluid & easy to find at hardware or home improvement stores. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Dominick

Hey folks let's leave the government bashing to an appropriate forum.  Thanks.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

"Naphtha" is a squishy and poorly defined term for petroleum distillates that boil within a certain range.  There is light naphtha that boils/vaporizes at lower temperatures and a heavier, more oily, naphtha that boils/vaporizes at higher temperatures.  

Zippo bought Ronson and had the benzene taken out of Ronsonol to make it less harmful to breath.  Benzene is/was the most volatile fraction with the lowest boiling point.  So, when benzene was removed the naphtha became heavier and more oily overall and they made up for it by including more stuff from the mid range of boiling points.  In a sense, the new product is more refined because the overall boiling point falls within a more narrow range.  

Ronsonol is still distilled petroleum and still considered a solvent when used for something other than lighter fluid.  I doubt that any of us could tell the difference in the way it behaves.  If you need a stronger solvent for a stubborn problem then buy a stronger solvent (benzene, acetone, etc.) and use with adequate protection.  If there are any doubts, just buy Varnish Makers and Painters (VM&P) Naphtha from the paint section at the hardware store.  You can also use VM&P Naphtha in your Zippo lighter.  Coleman Fuel is also naphtha, but is less refined to a narrow range of boiling points.  

The best thing about Ronsonol is the cool little can with flip top dispenser.  It is much easier to use than the VM&P Naphtha with the top that has to be pried off with a screwdriver.

-steve

Navidad Nutcase

Steve, that was very informative. All of it, and I  never thaught to use acetone at all. My wife has it in the ''nail polish'' drawer. I saw it in there one time when I was stealing her clear coat to cover my magic marker notes that I put on the side of my reels.
Thanks
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

basenjib123

Quote from: Dominick on March 26, 2019, 08:26:22 PM
Hey folks let's leave the government bashing to an appropriate forum.  Thanks.  Dominick

Sorry about that,  I deleted it.

Brewcrafter

Tiddlerbasher

I buy virtually all my solvents, mainly IPA, Acetone,MEK etc, from fleabay - 5 litres at a time - and its dirt cheap :)

Donnyboat

Thanks Chris and Steve, all very informative, there is a ship wright here that gets acotone, in 200ltr drums for AU$3c/litre, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 27, 2019, 08:33:22 AM
I buy virtually all my solvents, mainly IPA, Acetone,MEK etc, from fleabay - 5 litres at a time - and its dirt cheap :)
There are some things we have to buy on ebay because the chemical suppliers and legitimate businesses know and abide by the laws about shipping hazardous materials.  If you play by the books, it costs a fortune to have solvents, paints, glues, resins, and that kind of stuff sent to Hawaii unless it comes in a container ship.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on March 28, 2019, 08:38:29 AM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 27, 2019, 08:33:22 AM
There are some things we have to buy on ebay because the chemical suppliers and legitimate businesses know and abide by the laws about shipping hazardous materials.  If you play by the books, it costs a fortune to have solvents, paints, glues, resins, and that kind of stuff sent to Hawaii unless it comes in a container ship.
-steve

Makes me feel fortunate, and glad, I live in an affordable location without all kinds restrictions.  :) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)