A nature walk on the saltchuck.

Started by gstours, March 25, 2019, 09:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

After eating oysters they must be auk-chucks.   ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

This is the best ,,,,, :D love it ,,,, ;D

gstours

I,m 🤔 thinking a guillemot, settlers. We have some, but usually only out on the water.  Give me another guess tomorrow,  my eyes 👀 will be better.🚣‍♀️🍺🚣‍♀️

Navidad Nutcase

Regrding the picture of the black bird on the rocks. It's hard to tell their size in the picture but if they are what we call Black ducks, they don't eat oysters. At least not on the west coast of Vancouver Island they don't. My buddy of several years has an oyster farm (product grows on lines not on racks or the beach )  and when the Black Ducks move in by the hundreds or even thousands, he is smiling. They dive to 14 feet and eat ONLY the mussels growing on his strings. I help with the harvest and this eliminating the mussels sure makes our job easier. Also intersting is that his strings are 18 feet long (deep) and they don't get the last 4 feet cleaned up. They know their diving limit I guess.
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

El Pescador

I call TIME you two!!!

Time to ask a Bird Brain! ME!

They are Black Oystercatchers!

BINGO!

My work is done here!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Reel 224

Beautiful state. I only wish i was younger to enjoy that, to old and soft now. :(

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 27, 2019, 04:56:14 AM
Beautiful state. I only wish i was younger to enjoy that, to old and soft now. :(

Joe

Ditto. I really had no idea of what it was like until the past 5 years or so. Seeing it through Gary's eyes is really enlighting.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

gstours

Hey, I'm getting old too.  I have to hide the pain and suffering as it's my row to hoe.  Live, love, eat, sleep, with no sidewalks nor regretting.🚣‍♀️

Ron Jones

Quote from: El Pescador on March 27, 2019, 04:10:10 AM
I call TIME you two!!!

Time to ask a Bird Brain! ME!

They are Black Oystercatchers!

BINGO!

My work is done here!

Wayne

So,
Do oystercatchers eat oysters? :)
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Hardy Boy

Since we have no oysters here I would have to say maybe. They don't here but they do eat the shellfish (like mussels) we have. Maybe they do further South where there are oysters. You have to be very fast to catch an oyster !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Navidad Nutcase

The oysters around here are very hard shelled and  attached to rocks so those ducks would have an easy time cat hing them and a ni on impossible task getting  into them.
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

El Pescador

Ron,
This from the internet:  

"The black oystercatcher eats a variety of invertebrate marine life including mussels, whelks and limpets. Despite its name, it rarely eats oysters! It especially likes to eat creatures that cling to the rocks below the high-tide line. It usually forages at low tide and rests at high tide."

Green Grass & High Tides....

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

gstours

Thanks again for everyone adding to my simple post.  It's always good to hear from you, we all have knolage of something that the other person might knot.   Thanks again Alan for making this work.
   Just saying.🚶‍♂️

CapeFish

Lovely photos and I learned something new today, the African Black Oyster Catcher has a twin in the US! They look remarkably similar, same genus in fact and ours also don't seem to like oysters much, they prefer mussels and marine worms.

Steve-O

This is a great thread, Gary. Very refreshing to enjoy images of Southeast Alaska and especially since I've been there a "few" times. Here's a shot of my nature walk last fall on Prince of Wales island ...south of Gary...about 225 miles. I had my limits for the day and was enjoying the afternoon sun while scouting for some shore fishing spots. Had a nice time talking with a Raven and then a not so nice calling in a Blackie. Found out the scary way that what calls in foxes also works on bears.