1979 Dyer 29 Refresh

Started by Tightlines667, April 02, 2019, 05:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

As many of you know, I pulled my 1979Dyer29, Hi'ilawe, into dry dock last August.  

She has been in the water since 2011, and was in need of some attention.

I made this post at the behest of John(thorhammer) sonewhat reluctently since this is one of those projects where I have big hopes and asperations, but there is every possobility it might end in cost/time overruns, or dissapointments.  The current condition of this beautiful boat is also a bit embarising, as is the fact that I am not tackling the work myself.  

Having said that, I am optimistic.

The windshield had rotted, and I did a makeshift/shoddy repair job to continue fishing, the prop is the wrong size, bottom paint was worn down to barrier coat in areas, running gear was bare metal, thruhulls were origional, below waterline plumbing had last been replaced at repower in 2009.  The deck was very soft aft of engine, and aft of fighting chair.  Teak deteriorated throughout, general condition of paint/gellcoat poor, battery boxes rotton, both monel fuel tanks from 1979 were leaking (small leaks that were worse when full).  Engine box is in the way and cumbersome, heat insulation is worn, box is heavily worn and not watertight, boat is wet and a half cab would be more comfortable in 4-6' head seas.  Gelcoat is fadded/scratched/damaged, I don't like the teak rails on the deck, and the front hatch and anchore hauses leak water into the cabin (which needs repainting and new cushions).

I like the boat and figure I can make her whole again for less mobey than stepping into a different 29' boat on the local market.  After several meetings and discusdions with different boat guys/shipyards, I decided to give the job(s) to John Francis with  Ocean Marine Services.  He is a good guy, that does quality work, at reasonable costs.  He is basically a one msn show though so it's expected that the work could take many months.  He agreed to pull the boat and assign a spot in his dry dock facility for the long term project w/o charging much of any daily storage fee.  

I would love to.  I have been entrusting the work to a one msn boatyard operation and things have been progressing exceedingly slow.  Its been at the yard since last August and so far all thats been done is...

-Ripped out the deck
-Pulled both fuel tanks (leaking at seams, can not be repaired)
-New plastic tanks (went from 45gal to 55gal) arrived last week
-Bottom was sanded, excessive small pitting and blistering repaired, resanded, barrier coat and primed
-My shoddy fiberglass repair work on the windshield was sanded out/finished/sealed/primed
-Entire builge was sanded/cleaned/dewaxed/primed and painted
-Interior was sanded, dings repaired/filled primed
-1 thruhull was pulled and glassed over (unused astern of engine), 2 more (engine raw water intake&washdown/live bait pump in stern/port corner) are being pulled and replaced with new.
-All stringers have had nails/screws pulled, sanded/repaired/prepped for glass layup

Work to be completed includes:
-install low profile valve on stern thruhull, build mounting bracket, install centrafugal washdown/livewell pump, plumbing and thru deck fitting
-remove old washdown pump
-replace exhaust line astern of wet muffler
-replace raw water intake plumbing
-Rebuild/glass in battery trays, and bulge pump mounts
-Glass in/seal all stringers, cut layout glass in main deck I decided to go with 5/8" marine plywood (same as factory origional) in order to save a few bucks, and ad a little weight.
-Mount/plumb gas tanks with glassed plywood pressure mounts w/rubber gasket
-Mount/wire new fuel gauges to senders
-The deck is going to be reconfigured with a step up at the engine and a heat shield/sound insulation box around the engine with a large/removable engine acess hatch.  Sides of engibe will be dry storage, flush deck will likely be built up with holocore to save weight, and a cutout/step down into cabin/companionway with deck drain will be built.  Plastic access hatches will be installed in the center on each side.  A commercial grade semi-circular aluminum deck hatch will be built into dead center astern.  Under gunnel rod holders will be installed.  I am having John build reinforced plywood section in front of the engine hatch to allow for future mounting of (live bait well, chair, or rocketlauncher or whatever), and similar double plywood sections in 4 locations in fordeck for mounting chairs or other stuff
-I may remove anchor hause(s) on front top deck and glass in to keep the inside drier.
-Remove replace aluminum rubrail with commercial rubber style
-remove teak deck rails.
Prep deck, paint all decks with cream colored Kiwigrip
-Paint interior, cabin and the rest of boat with matching cream colored awlgrip
-Repair exterior above waterline gelcoat and repaint to match color (may have to wait until next haulout)
-Remove Airmar 500watt bronze thru hull and fit and mount new 1kw Airmar B260 Bronze thruhull (front center mounted inside/flush with keel)
-Mount/wire new Furuno FCV-588 sounder
-Have upholstery shop make new vberth and over coffinbox boat cushions to match color (may wait)
-Yanmar 4lha-stp needs to have heat exchanger/coolers removed cleaned/serviced/new zincs/air intake cleaned/new fuel filters/fuel lines/oil change
Front hatch needs resealing too

If this stuff gets done before the end of May and within budget, I will be amazed, but ready to drop her in and fish the Ahi run for 4-6weeks before considering pulling out to address some future desires...

-Re-prop I need to gain 2,500 rpm WOT and hopefully some top end speed
-Finish gelcoat or anything above that was nit completed
-I want to have him build a half cabin out of holocore with opening side windows, a center rigger mount, rod holders, and maybe upgrade to larger outrigger holders, have longer/larger outriggers/center custom made by Lance at 5 oceans 7 seas

I do have a rough buget and am aware I may have to drop sone of my desired improvements given cost cobsiderations.
John does great work, qt a reasonable cost, and I have been trying to give him as much time as he needs and the flexability to modify things as he goes along based on his experience.  Bear in mind this work is not free, and I ibtend to spend more on the work than I actually have ibto the boat now.

I do know the boat is going to look alot better the longer he has it for.

It is already looking alot better than when I pulled her out of the water.

Stay tuned

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Holy Cow John!
You have already had quite a few good trips on her.
I hope it works out for you brother.
Boating is not cheap.
My boat is a Kayak Now.
I catch the Monsters from Shore. ;)
Life is Good!

54bullseye

Wow John that is one expensive list you got there. She should be a beauty when done and your gonna have to live out there to pay it back with fish !!! You are going to feel a lot better about heading out though some of those repairs must have ALWAYS been on your mind when going off shore !  Hope all goes well !   John Taylor

thorhammer

WOW! Now that's what I'm talking about. Please keep updated pics on progress! I spy a Daugherty Yachts (Edgewater) 1800 Marlin beside your boat; i have had one since 2004 and it's a great boat, my primary striper boat.

Darin Crofton

This will be fun to watch, good luck to all involved! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Hardy Boy

Ah the fun of owning a boat !! You will be happy when its done .................. the hardest part is deciding what to do and then pulling the trigger !!!!!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

Will be very nice when done, I'm sure. Can't wait o see the new outriggers, Lance does great work.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Newell Nut

Good luck and have patience. When complete it will be a sweet fishing machine. Waiting for weather to break here so that I can put some hours on mine.

Dwight

redsetta

Thanks for posting this John.
It's a big task, but you've got a clear vision and a budget, so I reckon you're halfway there already ;)
Good luck - really looking forward to following this one!
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

I stopped by tye boat today and discussed a few items, maybe increased the list a bit.

Hes going to also..
-glass over the 2 unused starboard thru hulls
-prep and paint everything (inside and out)
-build a simple fish door
-Reinforce the deck in 5 places
-glass over ancgor hauses, remove teak rails
-and we discussed the front flush deck layout

-He is working on sourcing supplies, sorting tye fuel tank mounts, and plumbing, thru hulls, prop, cutless bearing, and other required materials.  He's also looking at subcontracting out some of the labor.

The dream is in place, hopefully he can start making it a reality.

John
Hope springs eternal

David Hall

If I where doing a project of this scope, which to me seems to be you are bringing her back to as new or better condition structurally and aesthetically.  It's a great hull and worth the time effort and money to freshen her up. Looks like a month or so with a full crew and a good plan.  A true labor of love.  Heard a Yanmar senior technician say that motor is one of the very best motors Yanmar ever built, maybe the best.
It may be one of the few Yanmars that is rebuildable.  Unlike my 6LPA.
Keep us posted and post lots of pics, this is going to be an epic refurbishment.  One which will give you many many many years of comfortable service.