Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Done!

philaroman

that's NICE!!!  wonder if it's the oldest Ohmori OEM

The Fishing Hobby

I'm pretty sure Compac was its own entity and was an OEM for a lot of other companies. I know for sure they made stuff for Shakespeare and a lot of import/rebadge companies in the USA.

Crow

Great job !! Looks like a sweet little reel !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

The Fishing Hobby

It's not too bad. The thrust pinion bearing isn't as nice as a pinion ball bearing and the drag setup isn't too good. I like the anti-reverse switch even though I'm not usually real big on plastic parts. It is a pretty solid reel but not one I'd use. It feels more like the old Italian worm drives and I'm not a huge fan of those either (unpopular opinion I'm sure). This one is built well, just doesn't feel as nice as a reel like a Shakespeare 2052 (I use one of those regularly).

mo65

That's a sweetie Kevin! That bearing looks a little odd, but some guys would consider it an "A" because of the worm drive gearing. You need a photo hosting site to post all your pics in one post, or, use the Gallery here. I find Flickr to be about the easiest to use that I've come across so far. 8)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152132672@N02/
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

You did an excellent job cleaning up that ol' 1955ish Atlas, Kevin! A few of the older Italian made reels used a similar ball & race retaining method. I just opened up a Zangi made Ted Williams 350 from the mid '60's that had the same setup but only has three balls. They work OK but sure not as smooth as encased bearings.  ;)

Compac was one of the earlier Japanese reel makers, separate from Olympic. I've never found any evidence they were part of the Olympic conglomerate, just unsubstantiated hearsay. Their hay day was the mid '50s through the mid '70s. They were sold/distributed by Commerce-Pacific, Inc. in LA, CA & Canada Limited, Ontario.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 05, 2020, 05:38:13 PM
You did an excellent job cleaning up that ol' 1955ish Atlas, Kevin! A few of the older Italian made reels used a similar ball & race retaining method. I just opened up a Zangi made Ted Williams 350 from the mid '60's that had the same setup but only has three balls. They work OK but sure not as smooth as encased bearings.  ;)
It's really more of a thrust bearing in design than a ball bearing and I think that is why it doesn't feel the same. It doesn't do much with the side load, the bushing in reel body takes care of that part.
It is a pretty well made reel, I just don't like the feel of it. It reminds me of a lot of the old Italian reels in more ways than just the bearing! I'm not real big on them either  ;D

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: mo65 on May 05, 2020, 04:09:10 PM
   That's a sweetie Kevin! That bearing looks a little odd, but some guys would consider it an "A" because of the worm drive gearing. You need a photo hosting site to post all your pics in one post, or, use the Gallery here. I find Flickr to be about the easiest to use that I've come across so far. 8)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152132672@N02/
if you used it, you would probably stick it in the B category  :D
Sometimes reels can be well crafted with good materials and still not perform well. I'd take an old Shakespeare 2052 over this one hands down. I think it is a good example of an early, good quality Japanese reel though! Not junk, but not my cup of tea either.

philaroman

that's how I feel about my Columbian

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: philaroman on May 05, 2020, 06:27:29 PM
that's how I feel about my Columbian
I have the larger Columbian version too  ;D
Definitely one in the same!

festus

I have several Compacs, but put this one into quarantine in the garage a couple weeks ago.  ::)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: festus on May 05, 2020, 09:48:57 PM
I have several Compacs, but put this one into quarantine in the garage a couple weeks ago.  ::)
:D

philaroman

Idunno...  maybe that's the golden reel that gives you immunity  :o

I have a #74 Cutlass: pale-blue, fancier rotor, no bottom shaft support

otherwise, your #75 Corona looks the same (can't compare size)

is there anything extra goofy about that piston bail spring assembly?

mo65

Quote from: philaroman on May 06, 2020, 10:27:28 AM
BTW, is there anything extra goofy about that piston bail spring assembly?

Yeah...that kinda caught my eye too.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~