Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

That little 290 is a sweet B-grade find Kevin. Like you said...even without support bearings on the main it would catch panfish forever. Thanks for posting! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

The Fishing Hobby

Yes sir, should be fine for many years of light duty fishing! The reel has a nice feel to it.

happyhooker

Thanks, gents, for the looks at the 282 & 290.

Frank

festus

Here's another B grader, the Zebco XRL40.  Not too bad for a no bearing reel.  I'll do a thread on this reel in a day or two under the Zebco section. 

mo65

If I remember correctly, on the schematic that XRL40 has bronze bushings on the pinion and main. That's a far sight better than the XRL37...it sports nothing! Funny how models from the same series can differ so much. Looking forward to your report Chester. 8)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: mo65 on June 06, 2019, 12:04:34 PM
   If I remember correctly, on the schematic that XRL40 has bronze bushings on the pinion and main. That's a far sight better than the XRL37...it sports nothing! Funny how models from the same series can differ so much. Looking forward to your report Chester. 8)
If that is the case, then it should be a nice reel!

festus

This feels like the best Heddon I've owned, the 281, and most likely it's considered a B-Grade.  It has at least one ball bearing.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: festus on June 08, 2019, 06:07:04 PM
This feels like the best Heddon I've owned, the 281, and most likely it's considered a B-Grade.  It has at least one ball bearing.
Whoever made those must have made the 290 I posted about. The body style looks very similar. One cupped rotor and one skirted spool but the main body looks very close to the same style.

mo65

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on June 08, 2019, 06:13:32 PM
Quote from: festus on June 08, 2019, 06:07:04 PM
This feels like the best Heddon I've owned, the 281, and most likely it's considered a B-Grade.  It has at least one ball bearing.
Whoever made those must have made the 290 I posted about. The body style looks very similar. One cupped rotor and one skirted spool but the main body looks very close to the same style.

I'm thinking it was Omori that made these Heddons...I don't know for sure...but they are very nice reels in my book. Like I've said before, the lack of a bronze or steel main doesn't scare me. You want to hear an honest statement? I've only had 2 reels with a busted main. They were both Penns, a 420ss and a 720z! I know my situation isn't the norm...but one to consider.  :-\

P.S. Anyone who knows me knows I'm no Penn hater. I love my little 720z, it's my "go to" crappie reel. 8)

Crow

I would agree, Mo....I've fished "cheap" reels for years...in the river, mostly, for smallmouth, walleye, and cats....and, despite pot metal gears, "cheap" bushings...or maybe, NO bushings....a little oil, and grease, at the start of the season seems to 'keep them tickin'"! The "more expensive" reels do have a distinct advantage in parts availability, though. The "throw aways"can be hard to find any spares for, so, it's a matter of having a bucket of donor reels, or "making" stuff, as you need it.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

The Fishing Hobby

Almost any modern reel has zinc alloy main gears so there is no reason the old ones should be any extra concern. There are still a lot of old metal turning lathes still running zamak gears out there. They are more likely to shear or to break down over time but still plenty around that probably are older than any of us!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on June 08, 2019, 06:27:07 PM

I'm thinking it was Omori that made these Heddons...I don't know for sure...but they are very nice reels in my book. Like I've said before, the lack of a bronze or steel main doesn't scare me. You want to hear an honest statement? I've only had 2 reels with a busted main. They were both Penns, a 420ss and a 720z! I know my situation isn't the norm...but one to consider.  :-\

P.S. Anyone who knows me knows I'm no Penn hater. I love my little 720z, it's my "go to" crappie reel. 8)

The majority of the Japanese made Heddons were made by Olympic.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 10, 2019, 02:05:38 AM
Quote from: mo65 on June 08, 2019, 06:27:07 PM

The majority of the Japanese made Heddons were made by Olympic.
Tommy, so probably some of those Roddys were also made by Olympic?

Midway Tommy

QuoteTommy, so probably some of those Roddys were also made by Olympic?

Some were made by Olympic and some were made by Daiwa.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Did Ryobi actually manufacture their own reels (the older ones)? A lot of those look really similar to some of the old Daiwa reels.