Teflon drag washers in a 1970s Abu 6000?

Started by festus, April 13, 2019, 11:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

In the past couple years I've serviced about a dozen and a half older Abu round baitcasters.

This 6000 that came in the mail today had teflon (or maybe Delrin or some type of plastic) drag washers.  First time I've seen this. The bottom one was quite a bit thicker than the other one.

Does anybody know if these are stock or someone had changed them out?  The reel is probably a 1971-1974 model, seen very little use.

mo65

That's a new one on me...all the older Abus I've opened had those phenolic type washers...and a few newer models had carbon fiber. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Definitely a customization. It's also had the drag click spring removed from the main gear to accommodate the wider teflon disk. Actually, that gear looks like it never had the spring, hmm...  ???

drumbum

I purchased some teflon washers for a couple Penn Mag 10's.  Much, much smoother than the HT100's stock in those reels, with some loss of overall drag pressure (acceptable amount).

Tried to get the fella to supply drags for the old Ambassadeurs to no avail. >:(

oc1

That was a trick when using very light mono line; like 4 to 8 lb.  I thought they were nylon but Teflon makes more sense.  High drag setting are not necessary, but a slippery drag is.
-steve

festus

Quote from: nelz on April 14, 2019, 01:14:12 PM
Definitely a customization. It's also had the drag click spring removed from the main gear to accommodate the wider teflon disk. Actually, that gear looks like it never had the spring, hmm...  ???
Nelz, is this the drag click spring?  Now you've pointed it out, yes, it has been removed or maybe was never there. This pic was borrowed from someone else's post. 

mo65

If you look at the drag plate you can see where the drag click spring has contacted the plate, it's scarred around the click holes. Your gear doesn't look modified...someone must have added it at sometime. In any event, if you're gonna catfish that reel Chester, I think you got lucky there. Just change those drags to carbontex and reap the benefits of more drag surface area. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Quote from: festus on April 21, 2019, 12:53:41 PMNelz, is this the drag click spring?  Now you've pointed it out, yes, it has been removed or maybe was never there. This pic was borrowed from someone else's post. 

Yes Festus, that's the one. But it really looks like an after-market custom gear that never had it. It might even be a slightly higher ratio gear. Have you tested the gear ratio?