Newport, OR halibut

Started by Keta, June 03, 2019, 02:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I made the drive to the coast hoping the weather reports were not right, they were Friday and Saturday but we were able to get out Thursday.

It started of well with a 38" and a 34" halibut in the boat in the first 45 min.  The next fish, 36" came an hour later than 3hours of soaking bait when we tagged the boat out with a 48" fish.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Nice job Lee, those are all decent flatties......48" equates to about 55# !!

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Hardy Boy

Glad it worked out for you Lee. Ted and I have had to scrub the last two trips....................... due to weather. Nice fish.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

Great job. I'm in the same boat as the canook, one more shot.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 03, 2019, 06:17:35 PM

Yup, 34" is about the smallest I like to keep and the 48" a inch or so shy of the largest I like to kill.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: Keta on June 03, 2019, 10:44:17 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on June 03, 2019, 06:17:35 PM

Yup, 34" is about the smallest I like to keep and the 48" a inch or so shy of the largest I like to kill.

Why is that Lee?

steve

Keta

Pacific halibut over 60 pounds are hens and the really large girls product  more eggs.  The flavor is still good on larger fish but the flakes are large, they have more worms and bioaccumulated toxins.

Mark Twain

Benni3

That's a monster,,,,, ;) really great job,,,,, ;D

Captain64-200

Nice panfish !  but we gonna need a bigger pan ... ;D
Fred from Biarritz ,

Gfish

Yehp. Bigger fish usually have more eggs in 'em and they usually have more yolk reserves in the eggs which could increase the survivability of the fry.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

conchydong

Good Job Lee! That's some fine eating fish there.