Jigmaster 505hs rebuild/mod

Started by Kayak Tony, April 21, 2019, 06:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayak Tony

So I finally sat down and disassembled my Jigmaster 505hs.
[/URL][/img]

I now know that I need a new sleeve and drag washers at the very least. My current questions are should I go ahead and put in the stainless yoke and eccentric jack and I think I read on the site that the stainless gears for a Newell 200, 300, or 400 will fit the 505 Jigmaster like factory but with a gear ratio of 3.6:1 if this is true would those be a better choice than 500 Jigmaster gears.

A little fishing intent for the reel to provide context: the reel will be used primarily for freshwater Striper, and large Flathead and Blue catfish. The reel will also see use at most once a year in surf fishing an/or pier fishing anywhere from North Carolina through both coasts of Florida.

Thanks,
Tony

akfish

I've found that many, maybe most, of the 505HS reels that I see have worn, very noisy gears. The problem is that with the fast retrieve (5:1) and a gear the same diameter as the standard 4:1 gears, the individual gear teeth are thin and shred easily. If your reel is still smooth with little or no gear noise, great! But odds are you'll want to replace the gears. I do not know whether Newell gears will fit and I do know that stock Penn 505 gears are hard to find...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

I have this reel. Yhep, there's a bit of "gear lash".

The 500 main would probably work. The 505 spool has longer shafts to accommodate the ballbearings, the 500(bushings)has shorter shafts and a recessed pinion(on one end)to fit over part of the head-plate bushing, but it should still work.

The bridge plates are a diffrent size and the bridge screw holes wouldn't line-up if you wanted to switch 'em. You want 4:1? You couldn't go wrong with Cortez Classic 500 kit and a 4:1 ss gear-set from P.C.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Black Pearl

Kayak Tony

Update on gear change

WDill was kind enough to send me a set of 500 gears to try out and check the fit in my 505hs. They went in without a hitch and the lock up on them seems really good so far. I managed to scrounge up 10.4 lbs worth of weight and checked to see how the drag would work and if I would have any slippage with a stationary lift and crank and with a moving jerk on the line and was happy to not have any slipping of the gears when cranking. Unfortunately I broke my phone on Friday, but will hopefully get the new one by Monday and will takes some pictures to add to this.

Gfish

Alright Tony!
I just got done testing mine(505 with 500 gear-set). I tried dragging 22lbs. in a  bag across my tiled floor. I's actually thinkin I might tweak/break my handle/knob, but did get it moving both pulling and cranking. No problems. I can't see how the gears mesh(they're behind the bridge-plate when assembled)but they feel and sound good. It's a GO for me if I ever wanna change.
Nowadays when I kayak troll, I use an old Long Beach 259(same size as a JM 500), havig a 3.5:1ratio(cause I put in a 13-500 pinion combined with the old gear)and with other various strength mods. 5:1 is probably good for fast lure retrieval and for me, that's about it. Ballbearings-? Better casting-?, maybe. I prefer bushings based on ease of maintenance(esp. In saltwater), strength and cost.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Kayak Tony

I'm hoping to have to clean saltwater out of it eventual, but living in Kentucky currently I don't have that joy. :'( This reel though has got me addicted to old Penns I think because I just picked up a 350m Levelline that should arrive Thursday with luck.

WDill

Black Pearl,

The Newell 3.61 will fit the 505/6? Are any other changes needed?

Bill
Wish I were fishing

Black Pearl

Quote from: WDill on May 06, 2019, 03:30:09 PM
Black Pearl,

The Newell 3.61 will fit the 505/6? Are any other changes needed?

Bill

Yes, it will fit, and no other changes at all.