Penn Precision Reel Grease: Buyer Beware!

Started by exp2000, June 05, 2019, 08:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 06, 2019, 11:19:24 PM
exp2000,

I take it this the grease your talking about, right?

You said something about the grease being sky blue. Was that before it was applied or after the contamination inside of the reel? Because the Penn grease I have is much darker than sky blue.

I'm wondering if is the same grease.

When I worked in a tackle shop around 12 years ago the Penn grease looked the same as this one I bought around a year ago.

Yes it's the same.  What I was saying was I have noticed a color change when emulsified.  It starts out as the dark clear blue then turns lighter when mixed with water.

exp2000

Quote from: alantani on June 06, 2019, 05:14:29 AM
does anyone know the chemical make up of this stuff, where it comes from and how it's made.  and could it be the same junk that we are looking at in the reel?

The masses on lead acid battery terminals are the result of interaction between sulphuric acid leakage or off-gassing and metals. The blue mass is likely copper sulphate. You may recall the distinctive color from your school science experiments.

Based on the color, the white mass I would assume to be lead compounds. Lead sulphate powder is the same white colour.

By comparison, seawater is slightly alkaline with a PH of approximately 8.0 and we have all seen what happens to zinc compound parts in cheaper reels when exposed. They tend to fuse together in a powdered mass. Zinc is commonly used in sacrificial anodes in the marine industry as it is the first to go.

But this process is very distinct from the examples I have provided where the grease itself is actually solidified. My theory is that the grease itself contains a metal component in the formulation that reacts with seawater.

Decades ago I experimented with powdered graphite lubricant on worm drives. Seemed like a good idea at the time but the fact is, it was a bad idea. Exposed to saltwater, the graphite powder fused into a solid concrete mass.

Now graphite is a very common additive in many lubricants but it has no place in marine lubricants. But unfortunately, this is what I think that we are seeing here.
~

exp2000

Quote from: JRD on June 07, 2019, 01:19:08 AM
Thank you I did read and comprehend.  In fact I was supporting you on the color if not the consistency as I have experienced it turning two different colors from the blue so your white is not outside the realm of possibility.  Hope that is comprehensible to you.

I have not observed the blue grease changing to a white color and never claimed this.

Please post the details of your experience as it may provide some further insight.
~

RowdyW

The easiest way to end this is to stop responding.

Zimbass

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

foakes

I have removed all personal insults and responses from this thread, gentlemen —

And locked the thread.

99% of our members realize that this type of personal attacking has no place on our AT Forum —

There are other forums where this type of behavior and attitudes are acceptable — not here...

Let's move on...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.