Installing Ultimate Upgrade 5+ on G440T, is this under gear washer correct?

Started by Recoil Rob, May 31, 2019, 11:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Bryan's washers are thinner which is why you have more washers with his kit. You need a standard washer to fill the gap under the gear... but I bet a delrin would be great there!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Recoil Rob

Yes, but please, someone tell me.....

Where does the smaller CF washer go?
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

Your reel has a stock 4-stack drag kit. You actually needed a 6-stack drag kit.  The small drag washer is intended to go the main gear in all other Newell reels that do not have the 4-stack drag system.  I hope this helps.  A full under gear drag washer will be sent to you to complete your 6-stack drag system tomorrow.

Sorry for your troubles.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Oh, I just saw your picture. You have an extra drag washer for some reason. Put it in your parts box.

Please use the thicker Carbontex drag washer for your under gear drag washer. You should have 5 Carbontex washers that are 0.5 mm thick and one that is 0.76 mm thick.

Therefore, I will not be sending out an extra 0.76 mm under gear drag washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Recoil Rob

OK, for anyone looking at this in the future, I just spoke with Bryan and in the photo above, the small washer at the bottom of the row of CF's is not a CF, it's a belleville.
   - Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

Thanks for calling me. I think I understand. I'll mail you the under gear washer tomorrow. Have a pleasant night/morning.

reel man

Swami805

Sort of a related question: Is there a way to tell if an early G has a 4 stack without opening it? The ones with the stainless levers and clicker buttons or the red badge ones?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Recoil Rob

- Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

Honestly I don't think one can tell until you open it. Just like knowing if your reel has a double dog bridge.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 02, 2019, 07:11:52 AM
Honestly I don't think one can tell until you open it. Just like knowing if your reel has a double dog bridge.

There is one way. All of the 4 stack systems that I have ever seen have a SS gear sleeve. So, you could remove the handle nut and handle to get a good look at the end of the gear sleeve. SS would be 4 stack and bronze would be 3 stack. Of course I am referring to factory original parts. A lot of us have recently installed Cortez conversion SS sleeves.

Dwight

Recoil Rob

And to finish up...
Thanks to Bryan for sending the correct under gear washer. I installed everything according to the directions in the kit, lubed it up with Cal's grease, put it back together and... no drag.

My other two Newells have a spacer collar that transfers force from the back of the star to the top of the stack. This factory bastardized reel has a brass collar as one piece with the back of the star. In any case the actual star itself was bottoming out on the sideplate before compressing the stack. It took some trial and error but what I ended up doing was taking one of the original, thick steel keyed washers and putting it on top of the last new, thin keyed washer, on the top of the stack and under the new belleville. This raised the height of the stack enough for me to get full drag capability.

Will be taking it tuna fishing on Sunday off Long Island, will report back.

Thanks to all, especially Bryan and Ken.
   - Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

Glad you got it working for tuna fishing. With all custom parts it will take a little adjustment due to the variability in stock parts. Even the slightest, as you found out, can have have great affects on the drag system.

Recoil Rob

Yes, I'm getting more comfortable swapping parts out now. The amount of drag I can get from this reel is quite an upgrade, have to make sure the rest of the reel can handle it.

Thanks again.

Rob
   - Errol Flynn

enfish

Quote from: Swami805 on June 02, 2019, 01:52:45 AM
Sort of a related question: Is there a way to tell if an early G has a 4 stack without opening it? The ones with the stainless levers and clicker buttons or the red badge ones?

I've got red label and black label G-series with stainless levers and none of them are 4-stacks. Carl liked to tinker and make design changes, so it doesn't surprise me that there are a few G-series out there built up with leftover P-series 4 stacks.