TOTAL LOCKDOWN - How To Modify A Penn Senator or Daiwa Sealine Reel ???

Started by ez2cdave, October 21, 2021, 06:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Total lockdown?  How about a hand line tied around your wrist?  That's commitment!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

Quote from: MarkT on October 27, 2021, 05:20:02 PM
Total lockdown?  How about a hand line tied around your wrist?  That's commitment!
Or the belt of the guy next to you.   ;D  ;D  ;D      Rudy

steelfish

Quote from: Ron Jones on October 27, 2021, 05:11:13 PM
Could you imagine pulling on a no drag 6/0 until it tears itself apart!!!!?????

The Man

you mean, you bones tearing apart before the reel make a cracking noise.

these next fish were caught on a tug-o-war fashion battle using a bone stock 114h, the captain told me he tightened down the drag the most he could using only his hands, so not sure how much drag the reel had at that moment.

The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Fill the drag stack with metal washers only, I'd probably alternate keyed/eared for maximum strength, then drill through the entire stack in maybe 4 places and dowel/pin the whole thing together.

But now all the force has to be taken by your gear teeth, hope they're strong ones.

That would be my best idea as well, as it is reversible. Lord have mercy you had best have a solid anti reverse system, or really good medical insurance!

As noted earlier in this thread,  using the drag disabling technique transfers the load to the dog/pawl, which will probably be the point of failure on these reels, and as Ron has noted- the medical insurance would be necessary when the dog fails and the handle suddenly starts spinning backwards.   But upgrading the drags will probably put enough uumph in the stack to allow the dog to fail if you tighten the drag too much.  So there really isn't much of a point in disabling the drag entirely if you are going to modify the stack. Just upgrade the stack and tighten as far as you dare, after  handing off your beer to your buddy. ::)  ::)

The gears will fail only if the dogs hold.  Gear failure under load on these reels is more likely to happen when winding, as opposed to hanging on for dear life.  The gear teeth are stronger, have more material engaged, and have a greater mechanical advantage - as long as the gears stay aligned.  But once the gears are out of alignment, so are the dog and pawl.

The correct way to implement  a locking mechanism is on the spool, preferably with a hot button that will unlock when not actively being held down.   But any lock mechanism on a reel with strong line is dangerous.  Some are just more dangerous than others.

Covered in more detail in my previous post, but since the advice is flowing again, I wanted to further highlight the safety risk.

-J

gstours

I agree with the advice shown here,   Butt we as a community here have resources and knowledge/experience that these folks that Alex talks about don't necessarily have.
    Many of you know about the cultural differences,   
Fifty years ago I was on a vacation and sat down to dinner with a few fisherman,  when a person was talking about having a fish on for a half hour and then told the skipper to cut the line,   I almost had a hiccup,  then a after words found out he "quit".    Maybe that's better than a life flight ✈️ out on a helo or float plane?    Nobody got hurt.    I,m still waiting for my chance.😉

ez2cdave

Well, one thing is certain . . . I'm very glad that I don't have to be the one holding the rod !

Maybe when I was young & dumb but, now, at age 60, it ain't happening .

I have relayed the info to them . . . They were enthusiastic !

They said they would report back ( hopefully, not an obituary ).

Thanks, Guys . . .

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on October 31, 2021, 01:13:53 AM
.....   Butt we as a community here have resources and knowledge/experience that these folks that Alex talks about don't necessarily have.

well, seems that there were not many new tech options shown for a Total lockdown on a Penn Senator or Sealine reels.

The Baja Guy