Spare Parts Identification?

Started by Gfish, March 25, 2021, 06:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Need some help. Would like to figure out which reels these extra parts go to. Got some spare parts along with a Penn 209. Most were in 2 "ABU svangsta Sweden" tubes with the red caps and one small tube with no markings. All look like older Ambassadeur parts, but for which reels? One clue is the cap that says 5000 on it. The packaged oils/wrench is labeled with ABU too.
And yes, I've already mixed-up which cap goes to what set of parts. Recognize anything?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Separate this stuff-out;
1) tube with less parts, looks to me like 60's-70's Amb. 5000 spare parts.

2) tube with more parts, some exactly the same as tube #1, some slightly different. Different reel, or latter/earlier production changes to a 5000?

3) side by side comparison.

Also, there's still oil in those packaged tubes!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

In the third picture above, note these differences, if possible; the shape of the dog ears, the handle nuts, the differences in the spare screws(diameters, beveling of heads, or not)

4) the small tube with no marking. Note that the levelwind pawl is much shorter than the one on the left side in picture #3 and a pawl cap screw is included with this one, the spare screws are much shorter and one is cut like it's a thumb screw, and 2 rubber dealies; an o-ring and what looks like it'ed work as a bail stopper on a spinner, and a grey plastic thingie(cap for something?).

alantani

dunno, but these really must be old.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

These are ABU tune-up kits.

They generally include the most commonly wear parts.

They fit most of the round baitcaster ABU's.

I have a couple of junk drawers of mostly ABU parts.  If I am working on a reel that needs parts — if they fit — I just install them.  Most of them fit the common ABU baitcasters.

60's & early 70's.

When the bottles are empty — I just use them for hooks and small shot when backpacking.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Fred - Just curious in the historical sense - were those kits generally sold along with reels, or were they something that dealers were supplied with to support sales on the maintenance side?  Or were these items that folks used to purchase along with their reels as a "maintenance kit".  Maybe it's just me getting older but I find that stuff fascinating... - john

Gfish

Here's how mine came John. Early 60's NIB. Oil, wrench and spare parts. Looking closely, the tube pictured above, that I guessed was 5000 parts, was, just a lot more of em, than came with this one. Now which iteration of the 5000, or other model, came with a handle nut that has a hole on top?

Brewcrafter

Gfish that is REALLY NEAT!  Thanks for sharing!  And nowadays if we get a tube of oil in the box its a big deal! - john

foakes

Quote from: Brewcrafter on March 26, 2021, 03:20:38 AM
Fred - Just curious in the historical sense - were those kits generally sold along with reels, or were they something that dealers were supplied with to support sales on the maintenance side?  Or were these items that folks used to purchase along with their reels as a "maintenance kit".  Maybe it's just me getting older but I find that stuff fascinating... - john

Right, John —

As Greg shows, they came in the leather case with a new reel & oil.

Or, one could buy the spare parts and the tube separately to toss in the tackle box.

This was from the era when some companies expected their products to last an angler's lifetime — as well as being able to upgrade some of the common wear or lost parts. 

There are still a few companies around that offer quality along with the expectation that what they sell will last for generations.  But in my world, they are few — and can be counted on one or two hands.

ABU was a great company in the old days.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

The packaging and accessories that came with an ABU are part of their mystique.  The earliest reels had real leather cases, a brass insignia and clasp, replaced later with faux leather.

Gfish

Which model reel is that, Steve?

oc1

ABU Record Expert 2200.  One of my favorites.