Need drag washers or complete spool for a Mitchell 302?

Started by festus, May 28, 2019, 10:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

A while back I got a good deal on a Mitchell 302 that had a non-functioning anti-reverse.  This was my first experience with a 302, not any more difficult to service than a 300, 308, or 306, just different.  Took a few minutes to realize there were two c-clips on the axle, making it tricky to get out.  Plus its drag stack is unique and mine is missing parts.

The original anti-reverse had a stripped out lever shaft and an incorrect spring.  Here is its replacement I ordered from Canada, went ahead and got the entire side plate.

Before I installed the side plate, I took the components apart for a good cleaning.  The spring on the left is the correct one.

Side plate cleaned, reassembled, and ready to be installed.

Got the reel back together, anti-reverse works fine.

Looking at the serial number and researching a bit on the 'net, this reel is one of the earlier ones probably manufactured sometime between 1954 and 1956.

BUT, here's my problem.  Here is its drag washers.  I'm missing several, but believe it or not, the drag does function with what's here. 

I've been combing ebay, but really can't find any washers for this reel.  Thought about just ordering a NOS spool if one ever becomes available.

Does anyone have a complete spool they would sell?  Or maybe one of you members may have a good stock of Mitchell washers who'd sell me what I need. I'm sure sooner or later a spool will pop up on ebay.  I saw some used spools on ebay but figured they were also missing washers.

foakes

Just pulled these out of the new old stock parts bins, Chester —

Let me know what you need and I will send it out tomorrow.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on May 29, 2019, 12:38:07 AM
Just pulled these out of the new old stock parts bins, Chester —

Let me know what you need and I will send it out tomorrow.

Best,

Fred

Thanks so much, Fred!  

In the pic I attached the parts I already have are X'd out.  I don't have the washer the arrow points to, wasn't sure it was necessary, it appears to be felt or fiber, maybe carbon. Is only one of those needed?

Betcha it's common that most 302 bought from the internet are missing washers, since there was never a retaining ring in the spool.

I did quite a bit of searching on this site and other sites, and understand there is a way to set up the drag by omitting some of the metal washers and adding more fiber or carbon washers.  But I understand that if it's set up that way, the line out alarm click won't work.

foakes

It is some sort of hard fiber or carbon washer, Chester —

It goes between the underside of the spool and on top of the silver spool spindle.

I will send all (5) washers out tomorrow.

N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on May 29, 2019, 01:34:32 AM

It goes between the underside of the spool and on top of the silver spool spindle.

N/C.

Best,

Fred
Thanks so much again, Fred! Do you still have my address? If not I'll message it to you.

The past 2-3 weeks I've gotten interested in the Mitchells again.  Matter of fact, I checked some old 300 I serviced almost two years ago.  At the time I was using old cheap Walmart marine grease.  I tried working on 3-4 of them again with some better cleaning and used Superlube.  Might be my imagination, but they feel smoother now.  It appears I got the shims correct first time around.

Ron Jones

Just so you know, Penn 155 washers fit and the carbon fiber upgrade is very, very nice.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

festus

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 29, 2019, 02:09:36 AM
Just so you know, Penn 155 washers fit and the carbon fiber upgrade is very, very nice.

Ron Jones
Ron, I've heard of that Penn 155 upgrade.  Maybe I misunderstood, but if I'm not mistaken that disables the spool clicker?

festus

Quote from: foakes on May 29, 2019, 01:34:32 AM

N/C.

Best,

Fred
Fred, I checked and I already have this washer on top of the spindle.  So I only need the other four.

foakes

OK, Chester —

Got it —

Mailing today — you should see it Friday or Saturday.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on May 29, 2019, 05:39:46 PM
OK, Chester —

Got it —

Mailing today — you should see it Friday or Saturday.

Best,

Fred
Got the washers today, Fred, thanks again.  Sure beats buying a complete spool from ebay not knowing if the entire package is there.

Took a while to get the line out clicker on the drag assembly working.  Turned some washers right side up and upside down in different combinations.  A time or two the clicker only worked in reverse?   ???

Only way I could get it to work correctly was to leave this washer out of the stack.  Do you suppose any damage could occur running it this way?  The drag and clicker work fine now.  I wouldn't be scared to tackle any fish in the Tennessee River with this 302 now.

foakes

A 302/303 seldom comes across my bench that has the drag components in the right order — or even all of them — and they all seem to work to some extent.  No damage will occur.

It would be nice to have it right, however, IMO...

Try it again — compress the spring — screw everything down — then it would hopefully work with the clicker properly.

Obviously you have — but check the order again.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on June 03, 2019, 11:08:38 PM
A 302/303 seldom comes across my bench that has the drag components in the right order — or even all of them — and they all seem to work to some extent.  No damage will occur.

It would be nice to have it right, however, IMO...

Try it again — compress the spring — screw everything down — then it would hopefully work with the clicker properly.

Obviously you have — but check the order again.

Best,

Fred
Finally got that extra washer in there, Fred.  It works, can't really tell any difference with it in or out, but good to know it's correct. 

Betcha the Average Joe who was unfortunate enough to get some line trapped under the spool and had to remove the assembly had problems.  I watched two YouTube videos on 302 repairs a week or two ago and one spool was missing parts and the other out of order.

Thanks again.