New line for flat falls and heavy jigging

Started by Porthos, June 28, 2019, 10:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Berkley ProSpec 1500yds 100lb Metered...$149.62 after tax from Amazon. Hopetully, it's not counterfeit...

This should be the last big replenishment for the 2019 8-day.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Can't speak to the braid, tho I was about to order some, but I can say Prospec chrome mono, which has had detractors is some strong stuff....I used 50lb fo grouper fishing, and hung on rock: I'm 260 and pretty strong, and had to cut it as I could not break it with gloves.

let us know how the braid fares.

Porthos

Have it spooled on to three reels:

• Daiwa Sealine 600H: ~700 yds, 12ft Toro Tamer hollowcore splice to 15 yds 100 lb Izorline First String
  • Quantum Cabo 100: ~ 300 yds, 15ft Toro Tamer hollowcore splice to 11 yds 100 lb Hiseas Grand Slam
  • Quauntum Cabo 120: ~400 yds 15ft Toro Tamer hollowcore splice to 11 yds 100 lb Hiseas Grand Slam

Will report back...

tommyd

MarkT

Porthos

Quote from: MarkT on October 11, 2019, 08:39:43 PM
Some things are hard to live down!

I took the baton from Alan, who held it since the 2014 SOA Charter...

MarkT

Quote from: Porthos on October 12, 2019, 12:41:14 AM
Quote from: MarkT on October 11, 2019, 08:39:43 PM
Some things are hard to live down!

I took the baton from Alan, who held it since the 2014 SOA Charter...
He still gets reminded of that too.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Yup, all my fault  ;D

I can't get JB but I can get this.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Casted a Size 7 Blue Mackerel Kroc on the Cabo 100; got about 30-40 yds. The coating gave the line a higher stiffness than any other braid (including PP) that I've used before. No wind knots encountered even when casting into a 2-4 knot wind. No hookups.

Did vertical jigging with the Cabo 120 with a 7 oz modified Toro Tamer Swimming jig with a DIY assist hook (250 lb Kevlar cord to an 8/0 Eagle Claw L2004). Hooked up to a larger bonito (10-12 lbs (?), was larger than some of the schoolie YTF being caught) on the descend. Though nowhere being near a size that would even test the connection, the Toro Tamer hollow core was able to grip the ProSpec without any observable issues.

Based on the Meter's performance, would be willing to try the solid white version. YMMV...

Shark Hunter

I love the Cabo 120. Can't wait to see what it can really take.
Life is Good!