VISX 16 - just because you can do something...

Started by alantani, December 23, 2022, 04:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Alan set up my 16 for 80 and my 20 for 100.  I tested the 16 on a 9' shark and it kicked butt.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

as long as you are ok with the limitations of this reel, i have no problem trying to duplicate this work.  understand that i am grinding the cams by hand.  they may not come out in exactly the same way.  send a pm and i will get you my shipping info. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on December 23, 2022, 04:32:47 PMsays kyle, "i just bought a new penn visx 16!"

says me, "very nice!"

says kyle, "i want you to set it up for 100 pound."

says me, "um, yeah.  maybe.  um, not really.  it's more of an 80 pound reel."

says kyle, "let's try it anyway."

300 yards of 100 pound jerry brown hollow patriot.

still not a good idea.  just because you can do something, it doesn't mean that you should. 

thats the way we do it in Baja  ;D  ;D

a small and strong reel should be prepared for a YT, big gulf grouper, black grouper or big shark, so, you better off running 100# on those small and medium size reels.

I dont know anyone local that is taking care of their reels with the hope they last decades in good shape  ::)  ::)
The Baja Guy

MarkT

People commonly use the 16, both Penn VISX and Makaira, for BFT jigging with a 100# top shot. My Mak 16 has 80.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

I'd much rather work with 80#, than 100#. But ya godda give the customer what they really want. JMO, you  also should be able to resist saying "I told you so!".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!