money pit......even more than my Penn reel addiction

Started by milne, July 30, 2019, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Most great "success stories", are built up on a foundation of "tried, and failed" stories.......your Gramps was a wise man.....you learn WAY more from the "tried, and failed", than you do from the 1st time successes !
   I understand your need for concern about the wiring job......if it fails you, at sea, it's a long walk home !! If you have an eperienced guy check your schematic, take care to use good materials, and use your usual (from what I've seen of your other work) attention to details, it'll be fine ! Maybe, for a bit of "peace of mind", do a few "practice connections", and have your "guy" look them over, and give a few suggestions (if needed) ?!
   Just make your connections "secure"....mechanically, as well as electrically . Secure the wire "runs" so they aren't able to "chafe" against anything (or, each other), and put your fuses , or circut breakers in an easy to get to, and ventilated area, and use components of the correct size / capacity for the job (and of the best "quality" you can get !).
Wish I was "close enough" to drop by, lend a hand....and go with you on the " first trip" !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Hi Col, great job our doing there, make sure you place a fuse in the wiring to your bilge pump, a mate of ours, turnt his bilge pump on, then could smell smoke, a length of braid, had tangled in the pump, over loading it, then the wire over heated, then the plastic started to burn, right next to his fuel line, luckily he manage to put it out, who ever fitted the pump, never place a fuse in the wiring, so keep up the good work your doing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

milne

Hi Crow,   All great suggestions, and I think I'm going to head along those lines.  I just need to work out total loads on the main positive wire going forward
               Then each individual wire from there, that's really my greatest concern. I actually re wired an old Triumph Bonneville a while back, it was a lot easier as the entire loom came Pre built, I just had to make some adjustments to the standard set up. So I'm comfortable giving soldering and doing good crimps etc,,  it's really getting the schematics and the right weight wire for each task.  I've been doing a lot of research, and things are a wee bit clearer, but It does make me nervous !!!.   And if ever you are down this way sir, there is always room on the boat for a quick fish close by, no problems.

Hey Don,  Coincedently, on bilge pump wiring, I got a complete wiring diagram with the rule Bilge pump, which came with everything needed, which I thought was brilliant and it clearly shows that fuse you talk of. I'm having an auto option, as I sleep out occasionally and sometimes when over in Portland chasing the Tuna, the new Marina there offer secure mooring over night, which really saves launching cues etc, So I have that option of manual switch or setting it to auto when moored.
And that near disaster you mentioned, is why I am treading carefully with my re wire, I too have heard of some very close shaves.
A friend of mine got a deck wash fitted by the local marine shop, then went out for a few hours on the snapper, when he came in and was driving to the boat wash place about 2-3 km from the ramp, everyone was tooting at him, he thought that was strange. He arrived at the boat wash, drove straight into the bay, only to hop out of the car and find that smoke was billowing out of his boat. Luckily for him he was at the boat wash, so on with the water and situation averted.  They had wired his deck wash wrong !!  had he have carried on home and not stopped, by then it would have been alight for sure.

Hey Darin,  Hope all is well mate !
        Have you given that hotted up Squidder a good work out yet ???.
        Mine is still sitting there half done at the minute, along with a couple of other projects.

Col

milne

Thought I'd add to this thread,  update !!!.
My biggest dread, "electrickery".
I'm going, circuit by circuit, SLOWLY,   Must admit, thus far, the hardest thing to do on my rebuild.
I think it's more the ramifications if I don't get it right,  seen a few boats fry out wide due to bad or old wiring, not a place I want to be at.
Need to get the boat to couple of places in April, one place to measure up for under floor tank, the other just down the road from there to make up a new canopy, but it will be a custom type,,,, so under the pump to get her wired up and ready....
We seem to get outboard "specials" come winter time, all the marine outlets trying to boost sales in the slower period, So under a deadline at the minute, to have it ready by then....  But like most things that happen with rebuilding a boat, apart from the cost, something always rears it's ugly head and a curve ball appears..................

Col
Sorry, photo side ways,,,,, behind the bulk head,  when I first started, a little bit more done since, starting to look like it should..

Crow

Looks good, so far....keep it neat, and keep it simple.....!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rancanfish

That pic made me smile. The empty negative bus bars tell me you have a ways to go.  I've been chasing my boat project for almost a year.

Mahogany console remake, endless coats of varnish, all new electrical, new instruments, remove and replace interior, fiberglass repairs, trailer repairs......engine cleanup? What did I expect with an antique Whaler.

I had to take a break. My project is stalled.

Keep going Col.  You have to inspire me, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Ron Jones

Looks nice so far. I might recommend a couple more hangers on the top hot lead to keep it from resting on the "fusion" component (speaker?) Every wire in a boat vibrates and moves, and the way it is sitting now I can see it eventually wearing through the insulation. If that bulkhead is in front of the console, start thinking about NMEA 2000 routing now.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Donnyboat

Yes the Man, Ron, good advice, ay Col thanks for keeping us posted, very interesting, dont forget to mount your epirb in a position were your can get it in a hurry, now that dont meen that I am questioning your wiring, cheers Mate. Don.
Don, or donnyboat

milne

Hi Guys,  Yes, a long way to go !.
           The wires hanging by the top of the speaker, will be held with cable ties, to the screwed in plastic clips, every 100mm or so. They are from the electric anchor winch, which I have re positioned, so the feed wires have to be replaced as they are now to short, so just temporarily positioning it at the minute to get a proper length for the new one.. Where the wires/cables go down the side of the bulk head, I am re drilling and using a conduit so there will be no chance of anything rubbing at all. The whole bulk head is new, I changed it up in the rebuild both sides, so it sure gives me a lot more room behind there to fix things to and try and make a neat wiring job, previously, it was terrible. All power cables are going down that side, any NMEA cables will go down the other side, to keep them all separate.
I have made a bit more progress, but not much, work has really interfered with my progress, but slowly getting there. Learning how to solder properly has been a challenge, but I have a WILL SUCCEED attitude  LOL.
I'm going through it, one circuit at a time, I drew up a reasonably detailed wiring diagram before starting, but as mentioned time is my enemy at the minute, which is frustrating.
I'll get some progress Pic's up when I get some more done,  It truly is one of those jobs that I would prefer to be doing something else, but on the same token, to have a good handle on your boats wiring will be hugely beneficial, before it was nothing but a birds nest and a disaster waiting to happen...

Rancanfish,  I'm hearing you on the motivation factor,,,,  I have gone through stages on this rebuild like that. It's been a huge journey for me and I have had stages of just simply putting it on hold to take a break.  I wouldn't like to add up the hours I'm into this boat for, it would be frightening, BUT, it's all about the end game, seeing the progress from photo's I take sometimes sparks up my enthusiasm, but I do hear you......

Col

milne

Just for those with any interest,,,,,,,I did mention I hadn't progressed much of late, But was down at the factory so took a snap of where I am up too.
I have two more circuits I am working on, Bilge pump and a light bat on the rocket launches, which will rout in with the other run wires.
But this is how I'm setting things out. The marking on the top left bulk head area, is what I am about to route out, to make the main cables run truer to the cable holders under the gunnel, So I'm still basically still designing and modifying things as I go.
I guess being my first real complete wire job, the need to be able to understand and to be able to do any necessary repair while out on the water is my main aim. I had an experience a few years back of being first on the scene of a small trailer boat damn near burn't to the water line, was a huge shock and realisation of indeed just what 12 volt systems can do if not done properly.  I remember the poor owner afterwards saying he just had a deck wash fitted, but it was by a marine shop,  it was proved later that that was the cause, truly scary experience to see.
Anyways here's where I'm sort of up to, but I have pre soldered ready, my bilge and strip lighting for the rocket launcher, ready to feed in and connect.
Buz bar on the right is all my negative feeds, the bar on the left is my main Positive feed in and Pos, feeds out to the above switch panels and fuse box panel for un switched items........... It goes on..

Damn, photo still sideways   LOL

Col

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

David Hall

big project and looks very clean.  cant wait to see more.

Gfish

Col, et.al., do you use any coating of some kind to protect wire connections when done?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!