Daiwa Saltiga Z40 - standard servicing

Started by redsetta, October 27, 2011, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day all,
This is a bit of a long one, but it covers every step in the process.
This Saltiga belongs to a charter skipper mate who targets big kingies around the north-eastern coast of New Zealand's North Island - in the wider region around the Poor Knights.
Check him out here: http://www.happyhookercharters.co.nz/
He's a great bloke and a gun skipper - the last time we were out, we were picking up cray pots in swells not unlike that 'Deadliest Catch' show - it was great stuff.
He got this reel about three-and-a-half years ago and this is its first service.
It's had a hard life, solely as a jigging reel, so free spool/casting isn't a focus.
It's caught a lot of solid 50lb+ yellow tail, so I'm quite interested to have a look at the drag stack for wear etc.
Anyway, let's get into it - you may wanna grab a beer for this one...
It's loaded with 24kg (50lb) rainbow braid.

Start with the left side plate and remove the screws.

Off with the side plate and out with the spool.

Flip it over and reverse wind the handle until the handle nut can be removed by hand.
This is a great system - I haven't heard of any problems with it and reckon it's pretty clever.
Unwind the star drag and set aside.

Remove the spacing sleeve and the click leaf.

Remove the drag spring washers.

Remove the cast control cap and the right side plate screws.

Off comes the side plate and yoke springs.

The yoke and pinion can come out now. You'll also find a bearing washer on top of the sleeve - remove both.

The main gear and drag cluster will slide off the drive shaft, but may need a little filing, as per Alan's earlier Saltiga post here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=40.0

The drag washers were fastened together pretty tight but, being Dartanium, still slid against each other under load.

Remove the dog and ratchet...

Remove the yoke plate and clean.

Remove the little yoke plate spring and unscrew the drive shaft plate.

Separate the drive shaft and plate.

The corrosion on the plate was easily removed with a wire brush, but the drive shaft bearing is in a very poor state.
It's corroded in place and basically shagged - it was only removable by dismantling it piece by piece.

You can also see that salt build-up under the plate has resulted in a little corrosion on the frame.
Remove the drive shaft washer from inside the bearing well.

Remove the water shield from the inside of the frame and extract the bearing.

Still trying to remove the drive shaft bearing here...
Remove the water shield from the left side plate.

Remove the first bearing washer (D) and bearing.

Remove the remaining bearing washers.

One side of the spool was already greased, though the other wasn't.

Remove the c-clip from the eccentric lever and dismantle.

Remove the spring clip (44) from the right side plate spool bearing.

Here's a quick shot of the key wear areas I've noticed so far.
One of the Dartanium washers has been chewed around the edges by the bent ears on one of the metal washers - quite unusual really.
Also, now it's all clean, the frame corrosion becomes quite apparent...

Finally got the drive shaft bearing out, and give the right side plate bearing well a good clean with the pick.

Righto, into the rebuild now...
There's a bit of corrosion around the base of the eccentric lever, so give it a good clean, grease and reassemble.

Slide the eccentric lever into place and slot in the c-clip.

Back to the left side plate - replace the two bearing washers, with the O-shaped washer (C) last.

Insert the new bearing and apply a layer of grease (if you're not looking for casting/free spool).

One more fibre bearing washer, then on goes the water shield...

Replace the right side plate spool bearing - a new one again for this reel.

Grease and refit the water shield.

Reinsert the cleaned and lightly greased spool.
I'm adding a little ReelX here, though it's not really necessary.

In goes the replacement drive shaft bearing, well greased, and the washer - inserted into the bearing's ID.

Slot the drive shaft into the plate and refit the screws.

Fasten down and replace the ratchet onto the drive shaft.

Whoops, forgot the yoke plate and spring...

Right, back on track now...
Slide the first drag washer onto the ratchet, which has been given a light coat of Cal's.

Likewise, the main gear gets a light coat of Cal's, but first replace the pinion and yoke.

On goes the main gear and the first composite drag washer (apologies to Shimano for calling it Dartanium so far, but it's basically identical as far as I can tell).

Follow the usual assembly - composite/fibre washer, keyed metal washer, composite/fibre washer, eared metal washer etc

You can see here the bent ears - it's stock as far as I can see, but doesn't appear on the schematic as a separate item/part.

Finish off the assembly thus...

Slide the drive shaft sleeve into place as well and replace the bearing washer on as shown.

Insert the last spool bearing into the right side plate, grease well and replace the spring clip which holds it in place.

You can fit the dog earlier, but I just slide the main gear up slightly and fit the dog to the anti-reverse ratchet gear.
Replace the yoke springs.

Clean the A/R bearing carefully and apply a little ReelX (or similar). Never use grease on these bearings.

Replace the right side plate and fasten down.

On go the bearing and washer - lightly coated...

Followed by the spring washers...

And click leaf spring.

Replace the star drag and apply a light oil to the inside of the cast control cap.

Replace the spacing sleeve (B).

The handle is very straight forward, as per the following pics:

Clean, grease and reassemble...
Refit the handle and fasten down the handle nut until it lines up with the holes.
Wind the handle forward until it's all nice and secure.

Righto - all done.

I realise greased spool bearings aren't for everyone, but this reel needs to stand up to a lot of abuse and may not be serviced again for some time.
My aim here was to minimise the likelihood of failure.
Hope it was of some assistance/interest.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

justin, how were the stock drags?  do you have access to carbontex?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

The chewed washer was the only one that had an issue.
The ID of these drag washers is slightly larger than the diameter of the drive shaft - meaning they have a slight eccentric motion around the shaft.
This particular washer touched the bent-eared metal washer intermittently as a result.
I considered replacing it, but when I assembled and 'bench tested' the drag, it no longer touched (ie all superfluous material had already been knocked off).
It'd lost so little of its outer diameter that it still works to spec, and replacing it just means it'll grind off the edges again.

Dawn takes good care of me with Carbontex etc, but the difficulty is timing - the owner gave me the Saltiga on Wednesday night and wanted it back on Friday afternoon... (It takes up to two weeks posting from the US to NZ.)
Until I can start stocking a range, I can only do Carbontex upgrades when the owner is willing to wait.
I also only buy from Dawn as I reckon it's important to support good people/businesses.
I'll order a set for the Saltiga and replace them on the next service...
PS I made a small error with one bearing washer, which has since been corrected (it'd been a long day).  ;)

wallacewt

thats a very good tutorial "JUSTIN TANI" ;)thank you,everybody can do one of those now.cheers

Norcal Pescador

Goodonya, Mate! Very nice work.   (Sorry Dominick. I couldn't help myself. :D )
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Cheers lads - Alan sets the bar pretty high.

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on October 27, 2011, 10:29:07 PM
thats a very good tutorial "JUSTIN TANI" ;)thank you,everybody can do one of those now.cheers
Justin:  It looks like you now have to refer to Alan as Papa San  ;D Dominick

There you go Justin Rob is our resident linguist.  He speaks American and Australian.  He knows Foster's is Australian for beer too.  ;D 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Nice work Justin , you always  make it look so easy. Or should I say goodonya, mate ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spiderpig

Nice tutorial.

I am a little surprised/disappointed in how similar these are to the saltists.

jonnou

still so calm about the Aussie confusion ;D

broadway

Justin,
    Awesome reel and even Awesomer tutorial... I've got some Saltigas and love 'em. They're precision reels so there are tighter tolerances (which I like).
Man, you're good!
Thanks for doing this,
Dom

Porthos

Quote from: redsetta on October 27, 2011, 08:33:20 PM...Dawn takes good care of me with Carbontex etc, but the difficulty is timing - the owner gave me the Saltiga on Wednesday night and wanted it back on Friday afternoon... (It takes up to two weeks posting from the US to NZ.)
Until I can start stocking a range, I can only do Carbontex upgrades when the owner is willing to wait.
I also only buy from Dawn as I reckon it's important to support good people/businesses...

There's a few posts on how to cut your own washers...one way is with industrial calipers. If you can get the Carbontex sheets (or equivalent), then it's an alternative to stocking a range of pre-cut CF washers.

redsetta

Thanks Dom - appreciate the feedback.
Hope all's well with you and yours mate.

Cheers Porthos - this tutorial was from a few years back.
Only doing the odd custom build or extra-special resto these days, but been cutting CF sheets for a while now using gasket punches - works a treat and avoids itchy CF dust.

jonnou - we're Kiwis, so pretty used to the confusion  ;) ;D

jonnou

I lived in London for 4 years used to confusion ;D

Mr.Grinta

For every sunrise there will be a sunset, for every sunset there will be a sunrise. You have to accept Leonard.