Stradic ci4 3000 service

Started by JasonF, April 08, 2017, 10:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

So I made the amateur mistake of setting down my $500 rod/reel while fishing today instead of putting it in a rod holder.  My circle hook performed flawlessly, and a 23" trout ripped my rod from the boat.  I put a treble hook and lead on another rod and caught my rod in 18ft of water thankfully.

So here is my question.  To what extent do I need to service the submerged reel?  Do drag washers need to be replaced?  I tried to find a stradic tutorial but had no luck.  Any help will be appreciated!!

foakes

Glad you snagged your rod and reel, Jason --

If it were my $200+ trout reel -- and I could catch 23", 5-6 lb trout -- it would get a complete breakdown, full cleaning of all parts, reassemble with good lubes and greases -- then I would be sure it would be right, not let me down later, and last a good many years.

Drags should be fine when dried out, cleaned, and light drag grease applied to the stack...

Bigger concern for me would be the bearings -- this reel has at least 7 or 8 bearings, plus the ARB.  Water intrusion may not become evident for awhile --  but at some point -- it will decrease the functions of the reel from optimum to average to perhaps less.  When the reel is disassembled -- pop the bearing shields off -- clean with lacquer thinner, or similar -- rinse, allow to dry -- then use TSI321 on the bearings.

Put everything back together -- test all functions and operations -- should be better than new.

Not as bad as a dunk in salt water -- however, it needs addressing.

Just my opinion --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonF

Thanks Fred......it was saltwater  >:(

foakes

Ohhhh...Seatrout?

In that case, for sure gets a good cleaning, service, and lube.

Inspect the fiber drags carefully -- even if they looked good, I would probably just pop new ones in while it was on the bench.

Get the bearings cleaned as soon as possible -- along with everything else in the reel.

Probably no damage if addressed right away...

Let us know if you need any help.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

since it was a sinking - not just a dunking - you prob. have sand, as well as salt :( take EVERYTHING apart ASAP!!! (don't forget the handle knob)

JasonF

I started working on this a couple of hours ago using the thread linked below.  I am INCREDIBLY surprised to find that no water made it into the reel or drag stack.  I guess the seals do work.  There is quite a bit of fine dirt in all of the nooks and crannies, but easy to fix.  I'm dreading reassembly!

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?186512-Stradic-CI4-teardown-for-maintenance-(picture-heavy)

handi2

My shop is located right next to the Gulf of Mexico. I get guys in here all the time with submerged reels. The Shimano reel never have water in them. No mater what model. Yours doesn't have seals either!!

The reel still needs a full cleaning especially the bearings and roller clutch.

You dont have to remove the worm gears. Just empty the reel of all the internal parts (super easy on Shimano reels) and spray it out with WD40. If you have it then spray it out with CorrosionX spray. That's what I do when I service them.

The spool will need a complete disassembly and there are some tiny parts on the bail arm side.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonF

Yeah I noticed those tiny parts!  I could tell the tiny white plastic thing gose in the little spring, but I have no idea where the tiny copper washer goes.