Clearly, a Penn 49

Started by Crow, September 19, 2019, 03:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

One other thought just crossed my mind:  The mechanical vibration might have been turning those air pockets trapped by pouring into little bubbles, so I may have been wrong as to the source of the microbubbles being the mixing. 

Anything that will help fill the mold without trapping so much air should make a difference.  That sprue is tiny.

You picked a tough part for your first attempt at molded parts.  Not to mention clear resin.   Double extra bonus points!

-J

Crow

I tried to *think* it out, as I was setting up the molds...and my "fill and vent" holes are in the "edge of the plate, ", with the "reel sitting on it's stand". That's he way it "appeared" to be the easiest for the resin to get to all the "nooks".. I also, have *re thought* the "vibration", that might have NOT been a good thing!  Time will tell, for sure, but I think "warming the mix",and "slowing down the pour", will gain me a lot.....I really DON'T want to monkey with a vacuum chamber, if I can avoid it.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

Made another "pour" this morning!  Heated the "mix" by setting the bottles of epoxy and hardener in a pan of water, on a hot plate, and used an electric "heat gun" to heat the molds. After I mixed the two components (in a shallow aluminum foil pan), I passed the heat gun over it, as well as around the edges....seemed to do away with a lot of bubbles  :-\. I did notice that the molds filled much more quickly with the "hot mix/hot mold".
    I did the face plate, knob, and both spool halves....I still need another threaded "bearing insert", before I cast another plate.....and I had just enough mix to do the parts I did, anyway.
    I'll find out, tomorrow, if there is any improvement !!!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

Well, I took the parts from the molds, this morning. Results were less than stunning ::)!  The "warmed" mix, and molds did allow for a "less bubble" result....but, the "thinner" mix actually glued the mold forms together. Despite a coat of varnish on the bare wood edges.....a light coat of grease, and , a spray with a "real" release agent, getting the forms apart was a struggle! Pretty well means there will be a lot of work getting the forms back in shape, if I want to try again. Spool halves didn't turn out well, at all. The "flange" areas of the spool are so thin that there are spots that even the "thin" mix didn't get to...I'm thinking the "surface tension" of the mix against the actual mold was just too great to allow the mix to fill those areas.....maybe "vibration" would have helped, in this case  ???. The head plate, I think, will be usable....it seems to have "set up" much harder than my first attempt (maybe the heat helped with the mixing, as well ???). There is a LOT of "flash" that needs trimmed...and still a lot of bubbles (maybe a vacuum chamber WILL be needed, after all ???), but, all in all, I think I'm going to go ahead and "finish" this one....drill out all the holes, trim the "flash", and fit the bridge.
  As the weather continues to get more "fall like", my outside work will start to diminish, so I should have a "bit" more "reel time"

foakes

It took 39 first attempts for WD-40 to become a viable, and effective result, Arlyn --

I would say you are way ahead of the game!

Kudos, and great work attempting a difficult task...

Carl Newell was an innovator and expert at plastic injection techniques.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

That clear knob is way cool Arlyn....I'm pulling for you to eventually perfect the liquid plastic and complete your masterpiece !! Bummer about destroying the molds, but I know you won't let that stop you....back on the horse you go !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

It looks to me like it is coming along really, really well.  If you learn something with every attempt then it's a success.
-steve

Crow

Yeah, my Dad always used to say that you learn more by you failures than by your triumphs.....if that's truly so....I'm learning a LOT ! :D. I've already though about a *possible* improvement to the forms / molds, that , hopefully, will stop the "leakage" around the edges, and prevent the "sticking". The "spool" forms I made "fill", and "vent" from the "arbor end" (where the two halves of the spool come together), and I'm thinking that those points might be better if they were at the "edge" of the spool flange,...I *believe* that would answer the problem of the molds not filling in those 'thin" areas.
     I think....for a first attempt...I'd have been wise to pick a smaller diameter reel, too.....maybe a Surfmaster, or some such...maybe even an 85. Besides having less distance to travel (because of the smaller plates), the bubbles would also have a "wider" area to travel through (because the plates ae thicker) on their way "out of the mold". I'm thinking that, I will "finish this one" (except for the spool, probably) to see what other 'pitfalls" there might be, and then do a smaller reel, using the different mold / form design., to try to find a "sure fire" method.

milne

Well, I still think that it's impressive crow !!!!
   I'm facinated with what your doing and in awe....
I call that a successful exercise.
Looking forward to your up coming posts.

Col

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on October 22, 2019, 08:16:13 PM
It looks to me like it is coming along really, really well.  If you learn something with every attempt then it's a success.
-steve

I agree...great work Arlyn! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

If you pick a smaller reel for your next see thru reel, I'd recommend one with inner chrome rings like a long beach. This would help to retain shape over time and add strength too
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mhc

Looking good Crow, a bit more clean-up work than you wanted but that's part of the fun, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time. Can you use the tail plate from the first pour?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

xjchad

I love this idea too Arlyn and have been excited about your project!

If you need a smaller reel for the next try, PM me.  I think I have one I'd love to donate, NC.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

broadway

Yeah, let me know what you're looking for... good chance I might have one as well.
Keep up the good work!
Dom

oldmanjoe

:)    I myself am looking to start casting .     One thing that i see is the use of a pressure pot to help eliminate air bubbles.
    This may help .

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare