body color restore UPDATE 10-18

Started by Christopher M Songer, September 22, 2019, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Got 4 of these in good shape but dirty. Internals cleaned up well but the body is very faded. Any hints to improved the sun bleached frame?
Always go forward, never go straight

Crow

I'm not much into cleaning / restoring methods, but, it looks like any "polishing" done would remove the logo's....maybe try something like "armor all", someplace sort of "non-obtrusive", first, and see what that does ?  Works pretty well on my old truck :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Christopher M Songer

I initially cleaned the frame with WD 40 and a toothbrush.

happyhooker

The logo/writing is the killer.  Some non-metal parts on spinning reels clean up with a brass wire brush.

Frank

whalebreath

An old associate of mine once gave me a sample of a product designed to restore that kind of finish and it worked but was the slipperiest stuff ever you didn't want it on anything.

So it's not surprising I can't find any mention of it and I see on the net all the 'restoration hints' are for fishing rods not reels-at the same time I have seen reference to ways to do it.

thorhammer

head light restorer, followed by Back to Black that you use on automotive trim will improve it a lot.

foakes

Penetrol works.

Around $9.

It is great on crank knobs, drag knobs, plastic or graphite frames and bodies, automotive plastic or rubber trim, etc..

I keep a little salmon egg jar on my bench.

This stuff is like a Lazarus treatment.

Dispose of your application rags, as they will spontaneously combust if allowed to be piled together without air drying first.  Use precautions as you would with any solvent.

The results will astound you.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akfish

I've had good luck with Penn Rod and Reel Cleaner.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Christopher M Songer

I was thinking of Back to Black as I had used a similar product on my car's interior trim. I used a liquid rubbing compound a month ago on my 2001 Camry head lights with outstanding results, but I was thinking of going to baking soda and a scotch bright pad first for the next reel. I have 4 of these reels and will try different techniques to see what is most efficient. Not going to spend a lot of $ or time on these reels, but it will be interesting to see what works. The first pic below shows the results of a second WD 40 application using a scotch bright type pad that had some liq rubbing compound lingering in the fibers from my head light work last month.
The second pics show one of the reels on the right that has not been touched yet. All 4 started out like that one.
My original post shows the reels after one cleaning with WD40 and tooth brush. Still faded and chalky. Penetrol looks like it might have many uses around my garage and work bench. Thanks everyone.   

Ron Jones

Definately the way you  want to go. Can't wait to see fish hanging off them!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

PacRat

This seems like it's just what I need for several projects. I went to Home Depot and my local ACE hardware only to find out good ole California has ordered it removed from the store shelves. Has anyone tried the reformulated product?
Thanks
Mike

Christopher M Songer

Used the Back to Black, WD 40 and Penetrol on the reels and have my results to share.
First pic shows all 4 R->L unrestored/or cleaned. WD 40 only, Back to Black only far left Penetrol only.
2nd pic close up of unrestored and WD-40
3rd pic WD-40 and Back to Black
4th pic Back to Black and Penetrol

The back to Black was easy to use as was the WD-40. The Penetrol had best results but was more difficult and needed more precautions to work with.
Over all the WD-40 and the Penetrol seemed to penetrate the reel body.
I suspect since I use WD-40 to clean old fish scales, dirt and grease off anyway it may be "good enough". For better results use Back to Black after cleaning with WD-40. Best results most likely clean with WD-40 then apply Penetrol.

Christopher M Songer

First pic uncleaned reel top part WD-40 the rest untouched.
Second pic bottom treated with Back to Black
3rd pic all three with Penetrol in center section.

Benni3

A old thick for cars is black shoe polish,,,,,,,, ;D

Dominick

Quote from: Benni3 on October 18, 2019, 12:32:14 PM
A old thick for cars is black shoe polish,,,,,,,, ;D

Black shoe polish does work somewhat.  Someone told me that Pledge works also.  Also Pledge for gaskets on outboard motors.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.