Reel clamps on smaller reels?

Started by CapeFish, September 29, 2019, 11:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I try to place rod clamps on all my reel, if for nothing else but a place to put hook.

oc1

I dislike hose clamps even more than reel clamps and reel seats.  Talk about awkward and uncomfortable.
-steve

Cuttyhunker

I'm with Alto "Why Not?" especially with the crappy plastic reels seats so common today.  These seats have a plastic cranking "nut" to slide the reel clamp up. Junk.
Give me an old Varmac any day.  These "nuts" will split if tightened with any pressure, I have fixed some with superglue then seizing twine around the outside, varnishing it, to try and hold the mess together.
Seizing the reel with twine works slick, a trick is to use 3 strand nylon rather than braid as the 3 strand construction allows for nearly double the elasticity inherent in the nylon as opposed to the braid making for a tighter "clamp" when you're putting the coal to a tight wrap.
Gramps Kovolovsky 16/0 in my avatar, the photo was taken about a year before Zane died, has double clamps attached, not to the stand, but the bottom 2 pillars.
Doomed from childhood

oc1

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on October 07, 2019, 09:15:37 PM
Seizing the reel with twine works slick, a trick is to use 3 strand nylon rather than braid as the 3 strand construction allows for nearly double the elasticity inherent in the nylon as opposed to the braid making for a tighter "clamp" when you're putting the coal to a tight wrap.
Yeah, using nylon is the key to tight wraps.  You can get some stretch out of nylon braid too.  In the pre-nylon days they had to use cotton or linen which had almost no stretch, although wetting the line first helped a little.  Whipping guides with silk was more difficult than using today's nylon as well, also because of the stretch.
-steve

Cuttyhunker

I remembered this unusual hose clamp on one of Gramps bamboo surf rods with a thumb screw set into the driver slot.  I suspect it hasn't been twisted since FDR was in the Whitehouse. I wonder if these were purpose made just for attaching reels?
Doomed from childhood

oc1

Ron Jones

I will NEVER understand why we stopped making those. They were always a little small, but they got the job done and you couldn't strip them out like you can with a screw gun.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Cuttyhunker

Got some spinners in an estate deal that were zip tied in addition to the regular reel seat. What the guy did was put one say the butt end of the stand first, leaving a little slack.  Then a second on the tip side of the stand, but cross it over the butt end tie so the square end ended up on the butt side of the butt side zip tie square end, so they pulled each other tighter. He could have done the same with one tie just going around twice. Then maybe only half as uncomfortable and ugly.
Doomed from childhood