Tinkering With The 306

Started by mo65, October 20, 2019, 12:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbamer

This is all great advice-Thank you!

Since I can't find the spring that leapt across the room, I'm trying to use the one spare 300 spring I have. It's the same part number as on the 306. I finally looked at pictures of the 306 spring online (which also fits the 301 according to sellers). Looks like it is wound the opposite way of the 300 spring. Which would explain why I can't get it installed...

Fred, you just sent me a mailer of small parts, and I feel a dolt for asking again for a 306 spring, but unless the 300 spring will work, I'll need to get one somehow. I have a couple Penn 710 greenies coming in the mail that may need parts (and at least one replacement emblem) so I'll put this 306 aside until I know what they need and then make a request.

Again, thank you all for the tips and advice. I'll do my best to incorporate them all.

cbamer

thorhammer: that is so kind of you to offer tackle for the kids. Right now, I think we'll be ok to start. I'm thinking a simplified carolina rig might be pretty easy for them to cast, and I'm also going to try tying some flies that do well around here, but put them on a leader with a large water-filled bubble, snap swivel and a couple small slider weights. The kids already love to catch sand crabs (though they may be too tender-hearted to use them for bait). If you have any easy to cast rig ideas for kids fishing close to shore, I'd love to hear them!

foakes

No worries, Carla —-

I will send you a correct 306 bail spring.

The left hand and right hand springs are different.

Haven't been able to get down the 10 miles to the Post Office due to the Holiday on Monday —- then the icy roads.

But have to go down today —- so will send them off.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Hi Carla —-

Just got back from the Post Office —- Roads are not good, but will be worse tomorrow.  Had a few boxes to mail.

Stuffed the original parts and envelope inside of a larger bubble mailer, along with (2) bail springs for the 306.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cbamer

Wow, thank you Fred! That news makes my day.

After setting aside the 306 I assembled the 300, but it definitely needs the shim(s) you just posted: it's so loud it might scare the fish.

Our roads here are icing up too, even downtown at sea level and right on the water! Glad you made it home safe. Time for a hot drink and a good movie!
Carla

Gfish

I noticed from the pictures, Mo's(4th picture down) 306 bail wire looks detachable from the spring-side bail arm, and the one in Fred's picture don't. An older version(Freds)? Looks like a much stronger version, or, am I missing something?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on February 24, 2023, 03:10:41 PMI noticed from the pictures, Mo's(4th picture down) 306 bail wire looks detachable from the spring-side bail arm, and the one in Fred's picture don't. An older version(Freds)? Looks like a much stronger version, or, am I missing something?

You are correct —- There are (2) different versions, Greg.

Both work fine.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

cbamer

Greg-I missed that the first time I looked through Mo's pictures. I saw it later, but after I'd lost the spring. Taking the bail are off makesit much easier to rotate the mount, and I might not have lost the spring if I'd taken the arm off first time around... at least I'm ready for when the replacement spring arrives (thanks, Fred)!