Removing A Lever Drag Cover

Started by Pollack, November 10, 2011, 06:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pollack

Hi Guys,
I have just purchased another couple of Charter Specials off ebay. The guy who had them previously had only used them a couple of times and then very kindly stored them for a fair while without rinsing them. Needless to say I have got the cleaning job from hell on my hands, but I have just stumbled on a great method of removing the lever drag cover (some of you are probably already aware of it ). After trying to remove it by gently tapping the edges with a screwdriver handle to loosen any solid build up of crud. I then wrapped the cover with an old balloon & tried to loosen it & failed totally. At this stage I was considering using hot water & heavy percussion engineering (if all else fails use a hammer - it won't do the job but it relieves a load of tension). I then  noticed a pair of rubberised building gloves on the work bench & grabbed hold of the spool & drag cover & it came off easily. I tried this on the other reel & it really works. Just thought I'd share this one with everyone.
All the Best
Pollack

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Pollack on November 10, 2011, 06:36:01 PM
Hi Guys,
....... At this stage I was considering using hot water & heavy percussion engineering (if all else fails use a hammer - it won't do the job but it relieves a load of tension). ..... rubberised building gloves on the work bench & grabbed hold of the spool & drag cover & it came off easily........
All the Best
Pollack
Great idea! Thanks for sharing. :)  And so does the "percussion engineering". :D :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

akfish

Neat trick. I often resort to a rubber mallet to remove the drag cover on graphite Penn lever drags. Tap the cover at an angle and it almost always comes free. I'm sure it would work with Charter Specials as well.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska