50l SS Gear and Pinion

Started by LanceV, February 18, 2023, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanceV

Just upgraded my Jigmaster 501. DD bridge,yoke 5+1 drag, 5:1 gear and pinion. I'm still messing with drag stack do get it right cause I think it's to tall when I back the star off still under pressure think I got that figured out from some old posts. My question is the pinion gear is noisy is this normal for SS?

foakes

Quote from: LanceV on February 18, 2023, 06:29:19 PMJust upgraded my Jigmaster 501. DD bridge,yoke 5+1 drag, 5:1 gear and pinion. I'm still messing with drag stack do get it right cause I think it's to tall when I back the star off still under pressure think I got that figured out from some old posts. My question is the pinion gear is noisy is this normal for SS?

Yes, Lance —-

Anytime a SS Pinion is paired with an SS main —- there will be a certain amount of noise as compared to a steel pinion and a brass main.

This is not a bad thing —- it just shows us the noise created by the durability of these upgrades.

Just keep it properly greased —- nothing to worry about.

Nice improvements!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

LanceV

So this thing is super noisy kind of grindy sort of. I backed off the left side bushing/bearing and it got quiter but its backed off way too much where the spool almost coming out of the pinion. Put the original gear back in and its fine although it seems the left bushing is backed out a bit too. Could it be a bad bearing/bushing at a loss right now. Also this is an older 501 I believe. I am a newbie to this. Thanks

Swami805

new SS gears will break in and get quieter with some time once they smooth out.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

handi2

I've bought and used the SS gears.

They are noisy and I now don't believe they are any stronger.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Quote from: LanceV on February 18, 2023, 11:25:57 PMSo this thing is super noisy kind of grindy sort of. I backed off the left side bushing/bearing and it got quiter but its backed off way too much where the spool almost coming out of the pinion. Put the original gear back in and its fine although it seems the left bushing is backed out a bit too. Could it be a bad bearing/bushing at a loss right now. Also this is an older 501 I believe. I am a newbie to this. Thanks

Maybe try taking out the spool and both bushings. Spin the bushings on the spool shafts—-too loose?, bad bushings. Difficult to tell, though. They are designed to work under a load.
Sometimes I have been able to improve spool position by using shims down inside the bushings. A plastic or metal or (best)delrin dot, works.
The ss gears should make some noise when new, but grinding don't sound right.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

LanceV

I left the DD bridge out and everythings working don't know why? Kept swapping things around (I have 2 of these reels) swapped parts around and everytime I tried to use the bridge reels would be super noisy and not smooth. With the 5:1 gear and SS gear sleeve, stock bridge, SS yoke and pinion gear works fine. Even checked the screws holding the bridge not rubbing the spool. I noticed the SS bridge is slightly thinner but I don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks everyone for your input.

day0ne

The DD bridge makes noise. Two dogs clicking. Noise isn't always a bad thing. I like the noise the dogs make. I'll never understand the desire for total quiet and "smoothness" people demand in reels. I, however, can't stand the noise from cranking with a clicker on.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

LanceV

The dogs clicking are fine, but you can barely hear them with the gritness sound?

Bill B

Lance what you are hearing is the gears breaking/wearing in.  SS gears take a lot longer to beak in than brass and steel gears.  Ever wonder why your old reels sound so smooth, they are well worn in.  If it bothers you that much head down to the auto parts store pick up some valve lapping compound and coat the gears.  Then sit down for a 30 minute video or show and spin the handle the whole time.  If you can put some tension on the spool the better. Heck you can practice spooling braid a couple times.  After you are done thoroughly clean all the parts and grease as normal.  You will see a big difference. 

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!