Reel Size Question AKA: 50 wide 80 wide

Started by Joey, June 02, 2020, 01:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

I hear this all the time we use a "50 Wide for deep dropping swordfish" or "80 wide for Marlin trolling"
What determines the size of a reel? or What makes a 50 wide a 50 wide etc??

Thanks,
Joey

day0ne

Quote from: Joey on June 02, 2020, 01:01:30 PM

What determines the size of a reel? or What makes a 50 wide a 50 wide etc??

Thanks,
Joey

Basically the manufacturer decides to call it that. There is no standard. Compare a Sealine 50 to a Tiagra 50 and you will see what I mean.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Joey

The manufacture determines the reel size pending on their design.

It is safe to say that a 50 wide is a reel designed for 50lb (mono??) and has a wide spool (for more line capacity?)

I have Sealine 30 my guess is this would similar to a 30 wide and would be best spooled with 30 lb mono or equivalent line. I have 50lb braid 50lb mono top-shot on it. 

Thanks for the replies it is helpful for me.

MarkT

I'd assume a 50W is wider (wider spool/frame, more capacity) than a standard 50.  Other than that all bets are off when comparing one mfg to another.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Caranx on June 02, 2020, 01:50:21 PM
For Penn, the number is the line rating. The W is a wider reel than the original with the same diameter.
So there will be a penn 50TW = line rating (50), T is for a tubular frame, and W is wide frame
A 50STW is the same as a 50TW but with 2 speeds. S= 2-speed, T= tubular frame, W= wide frame and spool.
Or
W = more line capacity

Then it goes on to newer versions like 80VISX which is 80 lb. line rated, VI is series 6, and S = 2-speed and X = xtra wide spool capacity. (I'm assuming) someone can chime in on this one.

Clear as mud?

I though the X in VISX is for Xtra drag.  The belleville and cams are to give max drag at sunset where the non-X versions had drag curves more suited for IFGA type of fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

boon

It's a fairly dated sizing "standard" that only really applies to game reels... as mentioned, something like a Torium 30 or Daiwa SL30SH is nowhere near the size of a Tiagra 30W.

My understanding is that it is based on the line class the reels were designed around both in terms of drag output and line capacity.

This has all gone out the window with the advent of braid; because nowadays you're just as likely to load a "30" size reel with 100lb+ braid they now offer drag curves and output that are suited to those kinds of line, and the whole sizing thing has become somewhat meaningless.

For all of that said, a Shimano Tiagra 50W, an Okuma Makaira 50W, and a Penn International VISX 50W should all be in the same ballpark size-wise.

Alan Matsuno

In the olden days, the number was for mono line class, capacity was ?800+ yds?  Drags where what they were, the reels were designed for chair fishing.

West coast fishermen began using the reels for stand up, found machine shops to rework the reels.

Joey

Quote from: boon on June 04, 2020, 11:38:48 PM
It's a fairly dated sizing "standard" that only really applies to game reels... as mentioned, something like a Torium 30 or Daiwa SL30SH is nowhere near the size of a Tiagra 30W.

My understanding is that it is based on the line class the reels were designed around both in terms of drag output and line capacity.

This has all gone out the window with the advent of braid; because nowadays you're just as likely to load a "30" size reel with 100lb+ braid they now offer drag curves and output that are suited to those kinds of line, and the whole sizing thing has become somewhat meaningless.

For all of that said, a Shimano Tiagra 50W, an Okuma Makaira 50W, and a Penn International VISX 50W should all be in the same ballpark size-wise.

This makes the most sense to me. I think the reels you mention are what some people base the size on, It just peaked my interest because guides will refer to the reels as a 50W or 80W, I just never knew if there was a standard or not.

Thanks again everyone.