Fred’s Excellent Adventure in Ultrasonic Cleaners

Started by foakes, December 23, 2022, 10:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

If I got a ultrasonic do you think it would fix my kindney stones at the last end of it,,,, ;)

reelynew

I have been really pleased with the effects of the Ultrasonic cleaner so far.  I have been using it way more for things I would not have considered beforehand.  I am thinking of cleaning-up some reels from my younger days. 

For plastic reels and most importantly, reels with stickers, how do you guys account for that?

I imagine that heat would not be a good thing, but would regular US cleaning take off any stickers, etc.?

Thanks,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

foakes

Quote from: reelynew on August 02, 2023, 05:21:28 PMI have been really pleased with the effects of the Ultrasonic cleaner so far.  I have been using it way more for things I would not have considered beforehand.  I am thinking of cleaning-up some reels from my younger days. 

For plastic reels and most importantly, reels with stickers, how do you guys account for that?

I imagine that heat would not be a good thing, but would regular US cleaning take off any stickers, etc.?

Thanks,Matt

I never use heat on reel parts, Matt —- just regular vibration will slightly heat the solutions, anyway.

For plastic parts or parts with stickers —- HD Dawn dish soap and water in a quart jar works the best for me.  Plus, I don't let the parts stay in the jar more than 3-5 minutes.  Out & rinse.

On some painted parts where they need a little more than the HD Dawn —- I use 50/50 Simple Green & Water in a wide mouth jar.  And again, only for a few minutes —- or the paint will start to come off.

If parts are heavily greased and cruddy —- a toothbrush job or Q-tips are useful to remove as much as possible before going into the solutions.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelynew

JasonGotaProblem

Keith gave me 2 ultrasonic cleaners. I finally tried them today. It didnt end well.

Plugged one in filled it up and turned it on. Sounded like a tesla coil. So i promptly unplugged it. Tried the other one. Sounded like a larger, louder tesla coil.

So I had to think either that's a normal wat for them to sound, or they're both broken. So i went back to the first one. Plugged it in and turned it on.

I then touched the metal side of the machine. And got a pretty dang good zap. In fact a better zap than I've had in a while, and my hand is still tingly. I think I'm done with those for now.

Hope someone got a laugh out of that.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

reelynew

Hi Jason,

I had a similar experience.  I bought the same ultrasonic cleaner that Fred had bought.  I turned it on and it sounded very abnormal to me.  Telsa coil is a good way to describe it.  I went so far as to send Fred some audio of what I was hearing just to make sure that was normal. 

Hope that made you laugh,

Matt

kevin cozens

i recently ordered a U/S off ebay.
After quarter hour of use it popped its clogs.
The seller sent me a new control board because the fuse had blown on the board (its soldered on)
Well i fitted the new board and after 10 minutes the same happened again.
Oh well the seller can now give me my money back.
I will then invest in a different model