140/145/146 squidder

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

not sure which one it is.  i just as dawn for the drag washer that goes under the jigmaster gear. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rednecktailg8er

Hello

I am restoring a penn squidder I got on eBay. I'm a longtime fisherman but this is my first exposure to reel maintenance/repair.  Alan, your tutorials are amazingly helpful.

This squidder is old with black side plates.  Having trouble with the dig and spring.  There Is only a post where the spring is supposed to go not a plastic casing like in the 145 demo.

Is the side plate broken or am I doing something wrong? I guess I don't fully understand what it does or where it goes.

The pinion does not have a collar on it.  read somewhere that this is on older models. Any idea what year it might be from?

I will add photos from my phone in the next post.  Thank you everyone for the forums. They are helping this newbie out.

-mac

rednecktailg8er

trying to figure out how to add pictures. lets see if this works. i dont know how to shrink the photos.

alantani

the post is wierd.  never seen one of those before.  you could bend out one of the coils of the spring to wrap around the post.  that would keep of from traveling.  as for the pinion gear, it should be fine.  this one is not going to be easy.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I think this is an OLD reel that originally had a leaf spring and was retrofit with a spring at some point.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

I've seen the post before on earlier models as you have, the coil spring rests against the post that's all there is to it. This was a good design, the newer Squidder's plastic posts usually snaps off, that is one of the reason I don't like Squidders.
I've fixed a few by drilling a hole and placing a metal post with epoxy as the older models. Easy fix and better than original.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rednecktailg8er

thanks everyone.. i will try again to get it together either resting the spring against the post or wrapping it around the post.. i had it resting on the post but i was nervous it would not stay there. i haven't put it all back together to see if it worked that way or not.

the post looks like it might've been added because the hole that is is in says "grease" around it... like maybe it used to be an open spot to grease the inside of the reel without taking right side plate off???

either way i'll hopefully figure something out. and then move onto the newer squidder or the jigmaster i got on ebay also.

cheers and happy fathers day

Alto Mare

Quote from: rednecktailg8er on June 16, 2013, 05:27:40 PM

the post looks like it might've been added because the hole that is is in says "grease" around it... like maybe it used to be an open spot to grease the inside of the reel without taking right side plate off???

No, that was the way it came. As I said above, I've seen it before. If you look closer, you'll notice that the post is a little flatter where the spring rests. From the way it's positioned it shouldn't  slide off, but if you have concerns, get needle nose plier and bend the tip of the coiled spring and slide it over the post.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rednecktailg8er

thanks alto mare! i will try them out

doradoben

The hole in the anti-reverse dog seems large and maybe oblong compared to the screw that it's mounted on. But it might just be my imagination due to the size of the photo..

Fishit 2

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 16, 2013, 02:42:15 PM
I've seen the post before on earlier models as you have, the coil spring rests against the post that's all there is to it. This was a good design, the newer Squidder's plastic posts usually snaps off, that is one of the reason I don't like Squidders.
I've fixed a few by drilling a hole and placing a metal post with epoxy as the older models. Easy fix and better than original.
Sal
That is a good idea, I have a Squidder in a box taken apart since my post is gone, bought mine from fleabay and of course the seller never mentioned it.
Do you have any pics of your mod?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Alto Mare

Fishit, I don't have a picture of that reel. It is very easy to do, grind down where the post snapped off the best you can and drill a hole about 1/16". Make sure you mark the bit with tape, you don't want to drill through the plate. make yourself a post out of brass or stainless, you could even use a piece off a hanger, you'll then glue it in place with some epoxy.
Sal

rednecktailg8er

Got another ebay squidder 140 up and running... red one this time... newer than my OLD one...

Got the reel working great, but exhausting with the regular handle while jigging striped bass on long island the last few weeks.

Any suggesting on power handle upgrade? want to get one on there before blackfishing in 2 weeks...

jigmaster power handle (#24-56) used in alan's demo expensive on ebay

(#24-55) they have on scott's b/t

ALSO any pointers on getting out stubborn bearings? i have one that i cant get out no matter what i try,soaking it, pick, flathead, plyers???

Mac

RUSTY OLD COLT

I PUT THE 24-12LT HANDLE FROM SCOTTS ON ALL MY SQUIDDER AND 100 CONVERSIONS .I HAVE SOME HANDLES ON MY FATHOM SERIES I DRILLED OUT AND USED ACCURATE ROUND KNOB HANDLES ON BUT I FIND THESE HANDLES FEEL VERY COLD ON OUR LONG ISLAND WATERS IN THE FALL /WINTER FISHING SEASON.

otghoyt

I know this thread is kind of old and I don't know who may be watching for new messages but.........Does anybody know if there is a pinion gear from another model that has another tooth or two on it that will fit and mesh in a 146 Squidder.  The main is pretty much crammed into the side plate but there is enough room for a larger pinion.  Has anybody done this.  I saw another blog about swapping pinions on a 250, 1/0 reel to get like 3.1 or 3.25 to 1 ratio.  I put a 500 Jigmaster pinion in a 146 Squidder and they are the same.  I tried a 506HS and the pitch is all wrong.  What does a 112 have?