Calcutta CT51 handle play

Started by Tagged, December 21, 2019, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagged

Breaking down my Calcutta CT51 for its annual cleaning.  One of the problems I want to cure is excessive lateral handle play.  I've confirmed that the parts in the reel match the parts diagram.  In other words, I'm not missing any parts, and they're all in the right places.

The base of the handle shaft sits in a bearing, and has a thin brass washer between the bearing and the first shoulder of the shaft.  Part No. BNT1829.  Should I add an additional washer? 

Tagged

Or perhaps does the nylon set plate BNT2107 warp or bend over time?  Do I need to replace the set plate?  Mikes Reel Repair has it for about $20, but I hate to spend $$ without knowing which part I should be replacing.

handi2

The drive shaft passes through the clutch bearing. It shouldn't have any lateral play when assembled. The clutch bearing keeps it from moving around.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tagged

By "lateral", I mean, side-to-side;  in and out.

oc1

I have 50's and they do not have this problem at all, ever.  Maybe increase the thickness of washer BNT1821 or BNT1825.  Since BNT1825 is fiber it is more likely to be the problem.
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Calcutta/CALCUTTA%20CT51(2003).pdf
-steve

alantani

It should be ok to shim it and tighten it up.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tagged

Thanks guys for the responses.    Upon reassembly, I was able to tighten it up without shims.  A couple of observations:

First, the lateral play can be recreated if the two screws BNT11  holding the set plate BNT 2107 to the Left Side Plate BNT2104 are loose.  I didn't notice them being loose when I disassembled the reel, but for now, I'm assuming that was the problem.  I tightened the screws when I put the reel back together, and there's no perceptible play in the handle, in any direction.  (Win!)

Second, the alignment of the set plate is critical in this reel, and in mine, there's enough play to cause issues.  Not enough play that you can see the difference, but enough that you can feel it.  If you tighten BNT11 screws and the set plate is slightly misaligned, then the reel gets "tight" when you tighten the thumbscrews to mount the left side plate to the frame.  The handle won't turn freely, and the spool won't either.  My solution was to loosen the thumb screws a half turn, then loosen the BNT11 screws a half turn, and then work the reel by turning the handle and spinning the spool shaft.  I think this allowed the set plate to find its natural alignment inside the reel.  Then I tightened the thumbscrews, to make sure the side plate was tight and aligned, and checked that the handle and spool were still "loose."  Only then did I tighten the BNT11 screws to lock the set plate in place.

It's working mostly like new.  Thanks again for the help!

alantani

Thanks for the follow up. I was wondering how it got loose to begin with. Thanks!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

Quote from: alantani on December 22, 2019, 04:02:38 PM
Thanks for the follow up. I was wondering how it got loose to begin with. Thanks!

Yes, follow up posts on these problems help everyone. Glad it worked out! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~