Torium/Trinidad 16/20/30 Service Tutorial by mark mayo

Started by alantani, March 27, 2009, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Quote from: tacoma09 on February 07, 2012, 06:57:26 AM
Why does Dawn have 2 different bearings for the trinidad/torium?  6x12x4mm & 4x11x4mm? 

Bryan I know that I need a pair of 6x12x4mm, what is the other size for?

The left side and right side spool bearings are different sizes

Bryan Young

I'm sure Dawn's site is correct.  Must have measured and wrote something else down.  Sorry.  Took the reel apart, measured, and put it back together.  I guess the last number stuck in my head twice when I wrote it down.  :o
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tacoma09

Has anyone do a drive shaft bearing upgrade on their torium?  What are the benefits?  I seen a seller in ebay selling them for 12.99.

alantani

not much need to "upgrade" that one.  just pack it with grease!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CapeFish

I have done it to mine following a warning from our local reel mechanic that the bush leads to costly corrosion and wear in the long run. The bush wears down the drive shaft and if you don't grease it, it corrodes and gets stuck to the frame and that is a mess. It happened to a friend's reel. I suppose the grease will prevent either for a long enough time, but there is certainly no harm done in sticking a greased bearing in there, its the same as the corresponding trinidad bearing

tacoma09

Is there anyway to increase the drag on the torium like the trinidad?  So far I upgraded the drags with carbontex and the dog too.  How are the two so similar,yet different in drag specs?

Mark

alantani

the drag ranges are exactly the same.  not really much that you can do to increase the drag range beyond what you already have. 

tacoma09

I need a part for my tor30.  I'm looking for a click prawl.  Anyone can lead me the right direction.

Mark

alantani

call shimano at 877-577-0600 unless you are looking for the anti-reverse pawl and spring.  i have a few of those left over. 

tacoma09

Quick question, I noticed that my tor30 clicker is not how it should be.  The clicker is not as loud as it should be.  I know because I have another one with the clicker very loud.  I'm thinking it's the clicker prawl, but I just wanted to know what's your take on it.

alantani

pop the side plate and see if you can find a worn click tongue or gear...... 

tacoma09

Last I checked the click tongue was a little worned out.  Do you think that could be the problem?

alantani

tacoma09

just changed the click prawl on my tor30, it sure is the culprit.  Quick fix.  Thank Alan

shimishimi

Hi, newby here.

Shaking my head in frustration: the second Torium 30 anti-reverse pawl/dog has just gone. Of course the handle now turns the spool back and forth.
The first went, and I thought it an aberration: even though the construction is rather odd, with the flanges simply 'hugging' the tongue.
Now in mid fishing session, another has gone. The corner that clicks against the cog just seems to have worn?? I find this odd. Not even a small spring to help the pressure?
Anybody?
Yikes, do I toss these reels?

shimishimi