Torium/Trinidad 16/20/30 Service Tutorial by mark mayo

Started by alantani, March 27, 2009, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: septicsac on July 09, 2011, 05:03:28 AM
3. Replaced the broken drag washers with carbontex ones from smoothdrag - does this normally result in the reel handle being slightly harder to turn when drag is fully off ? ? due to slight increase in thickness of new drag washers ? ? Fine when drag is set.

Quote from: plastic tiki on August 01, 2011, 08:11:31 AM
I've just done a service and drag upgrade on a Torium 30, the pinion is binding when i tighten the star, i pulled it down and rebuilt it with the original drags and no problems. The drag stack is roughly 1.5mm thicker with the carbontex, the washers are all in the right order. The plate bearing does sit slightly proud if the lip with the carbontex drag.   Any ideas bar tinkering with the brake collar??????

Has anyone answered these two questions? I am having similar problems.

Quoc_Pham

I might have had the yoke upside down and it was binding. Now it seems to be better.

Quoc_Pham

Still having issues, thinking it's related to thicker carbontex drag

alantani

any possibility that you left and extra drag washer in the stack?  all metal washers are in the proper orientation?   carbontex washers should be fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CapeFish

you have to make sure you fit the drive shaft bearing perfectly, I have had this problem before, it is not the drag stack, if it is in slightly skew, when you tighten the star it pushes sideways instead of straight down and jams against the driveshaft. 

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: alantani on August 08, 2014, 06:28:30 AM
any possibility that you left and extra drag washer in the stack?  all metal washers are in the proper orientation?   carbontex washers should be fine.  

Nope, 4 washers in and 4 washers out. Yes all metal washers are correct, square washer then the eared washer facing in, and the Key Washer with the hump side facing away from the stack.

Quote from: CapeFish on August 08, 2014, 06:56:12 AM
you have to make sure you fit the drive shaft bearing perfectly, I have had this problem before, it is not the drag stack, if it is in slightly skew, when you tighten the star it pushes sideways instead of straight down and jams against the driveshaft.  

I made sure it sat squared in there. I'm pretty anal about this part because I know what stuck bearings feel like and there isn't much room for error here.

I'll take it apart again today and check the stack.

Quoc_Pham

alantani

unpescador

I'm not seeing the "rookie mistake" in the last photo. Having the same problem with my "clicking" Torium. On my last outing the dog stopped clicking. Got home and tore down the reel and found the dog spring had broken. Since It was opened up, went ahead with a complete cleaning and lube of bearings, Carbontex washers, interior of reel and replaced dog and spring.

Buttoned her up and gave it a few turns and thought mission accomplished untill I snugged up the drag. It felt like something was binding!! Disengaged the reel and there was no change, still binding..
Backed off the drag completely and the problem disappeared.

At this point I've taken it apart 4 times, double and triple checked the schematic with no luck...
I've upgraded several Toriums/Trinidads with drag washers and dog springs for my buds with excellent results and never had this problem. Thought I had these reels figured out, feeling a bit deflated/frustrated!!!
What am missing here??? ???

alantani

two screws hold the cover over the dog and spring.  that cover is upside down and the main gear is rubbing against it!

Quoc_Pham

unpescador

Thank you gentleman! ! Looks like I've just been sent back to the minors!  :D
That solved the problem and explains the tooth by tooth feel of the binding. Buttery smooth again and ready to beat up on the Mutton snapper.
Phom, the photos are excellent!! Thanks!!
Alan, thanks again for your wisdom. You've done us all a great service and compleatly changed the way I shop for reels. Find myself avoiding reels with silent anti reverse systems.The exception being the Okuma Makaira 10 that found it's way home with me a couple days ago.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Would the SS trinidad drive shaft fit in the torium?

alantani

wendull

How do you remove the bearings from the spool spindle,the shaft has a pin running through it,but I cant figure out how to take it apart,they,re rusted solid on my torium 20   There is an image on the first page,its pic no.69