Penn 113h for Bart

Started by Mjg378, January 12, 2020, 03:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mjg378

Barts my Brother-in-law and lives in Virginia. We like to go fishing together when I do come to visit.  Bart likes the half-day head-boats out of Virginia Beach (one day I'll talk him into a longer trip) and I'll normally bring an extra rod and reel for him.  Last time I didn't bring any gear so we just used the boats.  Fortunately the boat wasn't full and I found some decent gear that worked but it would have been nice to have our own reliable reels.   That got me thinking, why haven't I rebuilt a reel for Bart.  Then I can travel lighter and that's  always a good thing.  Kept an eye out on The auction site and I picked up a low-price (cheap 😉) penn 113H.  I find these are perfect for Virginia Beach head-boat fishing, I'll spool it with 40 pound mono and we'll be set to go.  I think he'll like it.  
Mike (from Memphis Tn)

Bill B

Good job, I'm sure he will appreciate it....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JRD

Good thinking.  I find the older 4/0 to be perfect gifts.  High meaning to the receiver with low impact to the givers financial side.  Im sure he will love it.

mo65

Nice work! He'll love that reel for what you're doing. We also do those head boats out of VA Beach, and although they usually have very decent gear provided, they tend to use the old slow Long Beach and Delmar reels. These reels work fantastic for the purpose, but you can really up your game with a faster reel, filling a cooler easier than the other guys.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

That reel with 40lb mono is basically the crescent wrench of saltwater boat fishing. Let us know if you are able to break it....not likely :) I nab every one I see if a deal- especially those maroon ones, as they tend to have steel gears. We easily use 80lb braid and 80 topshot on them.

John