P229F

Started by santacruzpaul, November 02, 2011, 12:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

santacruzpaul

hey all,
i am in  the market for another P229F, found a new one in a local store, BUT, i am holding off since charkbait is not selling them for the time being, and they don't know when they will have any, or if production will start again,  this all started after carl passed, i  am concerned about getting parts in the future, as it is now, parts for the oldest newells are hard to find, in fact i sent an old P229F to the newell factory about a year and a half ago, and they had to install used parts they found in the boneyard,  any thought on this?
thanks, Paul 

fishny

I'm always on the "Better off safe than sorry" side of things, so I tend to buy when in doubt.

I'm not sure if you've heard some of the rumors/stories, but one is that Valley got kicked out of their current building, so it looks like the delay will be even longer.

I'd say that your decision should be based off of
a) how much you want/like the P229
b) how soon you need/want it, and
c) how the price is.

I've got a stash of Newells, so even if stuff starts breaking, I could always source parts from another one.   That being said, I've had very few parts that I need to replace.  Sure some of them may not be pretty, but they all work.  Bearings are easy to come by (boca bearings) drags and drag components are compatible with Jigmasters.  Screws I get through McMaster Carr.  The only other parts I've ever replaced/changed are some of the washers, which unfortunately are only available through Newell or a B&T shop that carries those parts.

That being said, any newer Newell that you purchase will have most of the parts compatible with any of the newer S-series Newells.  Obviously some parts are different (handle, star, crossbars, stand) but in theory, you could swap any of those parts and still be in business.  All the new ones have metal bearing cups on both sides, and the internals are pretty much identical (if not 100% identical).

I like Newells plain and simple, and plan on fishing them as long as I'm alive.

alantani

one good piece of news is that tiburon now makes frames for the newell fishing reels.  i just put some on order and will post some photos when they arrive.  the only salvation for newell owners might be if a more stable company purchases newell.  the problem will be manufacturing of parts.  the way things are going, the manufacturing portion of the company might go overseas. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

santacruzpaul

thanks for the input guys,
another question, what would be a comparable size reel to consider in the same $200.00 price range.
thanks, Paul

santacruzpaul

am looking at the avet MXL to replace the newell 229 on a calstar 196 any suggestions????  sx???
Paul

Panama

I just both an Avet SX (single speed) and an HXJ (2 speed). To go with my MXJ. Very happy with both.  I have Newell reels as well. As mentioned above Newell is in disarray  so I am staying away from Newells for now.....Uncertain about getting parts for future.   Notice that the prices on Newell on fleabay has climbed up!!  I would go with the Avet MXJ.....what you fishing for?
Get on the water, Man!!!

santacruzpaul

i fish mainly for shallow water rockies, ling, and halibut,

alantani

i think the narrow spool newells are great reels.  i would love to be president of that company for a day, too!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

santacruzpaul

thanks for the advise all,
going with the avet MXL, spectra with mono topshot,  it's the closest thing to the P229F that have been my companions for a while,
Paul