Hi-Speed Gears For Jigmaster & 113H??

Started by Norcal Pescador, November 22, 2011, 05:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

doradoben

Brendan,

Are the "Newell Bearings" that you used the light brown plastic bushings?? I tryed a set of those in a 112h &  ended up removing them. I've had better results with the original factory bushings..

This is the first time that I've posted on the site. I've read it for a long time & think it is by far the best fishing site on the web. Populated by very caring & helpful people. I'll like to take this opportunity to thank Alan for making it possible to drop by, hang out, learn & exchange ideas...  

Brendan

A Penn Jigmaster 500 Alan. And Doradoben they are the brown plastic ones.
Thanks, Brendan.

alantani

the bridge screws that hold the springs.  are they threaded the entire length of the screw or just the tip.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Brendan on February 19, 2012, 08:19:29 PM
After installing Newell gears, Allan's stainless sleeve, carbontex washers, stainless yoke, and Newell bearings to a 501, I am unable to get the reel in and out of gear unless I back off the handle side bearing a strong 16". Once I do this the spool grinds on that side like the bearing / bushing has no effect on the spool and appears to be in the way of the star drag. Any ideas?
Thanks, Brendan.
Brendan, if you need to back off the right side bearing to get the reel in or out of gear, it's possible that you have the wrong size bearing or spool. Sound like the spool shaft doesn't fit in the bearing and it's holding the spool back.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brendan

Alan, the screws are threaded only at the end of the screw, I have not compared the spool shaft diameter from the old spool to the new one, but that does seem quite possible. I will check that this evening.
Thanks Alan & Sal, Brendan.

alantani

it's hanging up someplace.  i just don't know where.   :-\

Norcal Pescador

Not sure if this is what's going on, but anyway I'll pass this on. I changed out stock 3.25:1 gears in my 113H for 4:1 Newell's. After reassembly, the freespool lever would only go halfway to "Off". The eccentric jack (#11-113) had notches worn in the two ears that push the yoke down. The yoke was hanging up on the notches. I filed the ears so there weren't any notches and it worked okay.
Ordered and installed a new jack and it's fine now. The old jacks have the ears only attached at one end and the new ones have the ears attached at both ends like an inverted V ( --^-- ) on the eccentric jack plate. Maybe a wear issue?  Could this be the problem/solution? ??? :-\
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Brendan

Rob, that was pretty much what was happening. The part you described was dragging on the yoke and getting scratched up a bit. I thought that was because of the stainless yoke. I cleaned it up with a file but it still didn't work. I still need to check the spool versus bushing diameters because after I back out the bushing it go's in and out of gear fine.
Thank You, Brendan.

Alto Mare

Brendan, what was wrong with that reel, did you get it to work?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I think I had to pull the tabs on the eccentric jack on one of the reels I worked on so that the pinion gear would clear the shoulders on the spool shaft.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

I will continue on it this weekend, this was going to be a fun easy one after working on a submerged baitrunner. I will let you know how it goes, kind of funny I think I completed my first Newell conversion over 30 years ago.
Brendan.

Norcal Pescador

Brendan,
The Jigmaster should have a 26-155 bushing/bearing on the handle side. Like Sal said if it's the wrong one, like a 26-60, it's too long. When I upgraded my 500L and 501 to 5:1 gears, I had to drill out the bottom of the pinion (13-505HS) to clear the bushing. I believe I used a 3/16" bit just deep enough to let the smooth outside of the bushing go all the way into the gear and then beveled the opening a bit so the gear wouldn't hang up on the bushing.

Clear as mud? Good. ;D

Hope this helps.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Quote from: norcal pescador on February 25, 2012, 05:47:27 AM
Brendan,
The Jigmaster should have a 26-155 bushing/bearing on the handle side. Like Sal said if it's the wrong one, like a 26-60, it's too long. When I upgraded my 500L and 501 to 5:1 gears, I had to drill out the bottom of the pinion (13-505HS) to clear the bushing. I believe I used a 3/16" bit just deep enough to let the smooth outside of the bushing go all the way into the gear and then beveled the opening a bit so the gear wouldn't hang up on the bushing.

Clear as mud? Good. ;D

Hope this helps.
Rob
Yep! and I have proof. By the way, thanks again Rob, you tha man ;)!

Brendan

The guy I bought them from said there was a bad batch that did not get counter bored, I just checked the pinion to the spool and that seemed correct. I will look into the bushing. I did notice the smooth end of the pinion appeared longer on the new pinion but the slot for the yoke is still in the same location as far as I can tell. Stand by, Brendan.