Abu Garcia Veracity ?

Started by mrbrklyn, March 01, 2020, 04:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

Anyone have any expereice with the Abu Garcia Veracity?  There is a number of new pole technologies coming out now including the new Terez wraps and the 3m fishing for the Veracity.  I'm looking them over, and thinking the Veracity Model#VRCTYC74-6 looks decent for the boat.

Rivverrat

The issue I have with supposed "New Sauce" epoxies & new graphite is so many times a claim is made but never proven or felt. There are two blank makers I turn to when supposed break through rod tech is being expounded on. Seldom do they agree with the hype. One thing we see stated is more power with liter weight. NOT POSSIBLE with present materials used for building blanks.

I can say right now with certainty that United Composites & St Croix will be releasing next generation rods. While they are not lighter than prior versions, for the same weight they will offer noticeably more power, energy, recoil etc. The power increase when using this new layer in making blanks allows for a line class increase over prior model. This could be useful for many ... Jeff

oc1

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 01, 2020, 08:44:41 PM
One thing we see stated is more power with liter weight. NOT POSSIBLE with present materials used for building blanks.

I'm with you on that.  They have probably squeezed just about everything there is to get out of carbon fiber and epoxy by now.

Speaking of squeezing, increasing the ratio of carbon fiber to resin seems to be what composite building is all about these days because that's the only way to reduce weight while maintaining strength.  That is, unless there is an important innovation in materials.  Rods are built with pre-impregnated fiber so the rod makers are at the mercy of their suppliers.  They need the minimum amount of resin in the pre-preg and high pressure when curing.  If you end up with any dry spots it's a failure.
-steve

boon

Have any of you chaps tried a nano-carbon (strictly speaking, nano silica filler in the resin) blank? I have a couple now... crazy rods. Admittedly they're not miles and miles better than a high end "regular" carbon blank, but they have obscene amounts of power from a relatively light rod. Only downside I'm aware of is that they're apparently a bit fragile, both in terms of high-sticking and impact damage to the blank.

oc1

Strength comes from the long fibers.
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: boon on March 01, 2020, 10:59:28 PM
  .... Only downside I'm aware of is that they're apparently a bit fragile, both in terms of high-sticking and impact damage to the blank....

Here lies the rub. You can have strength & durability or you can extreme lite weight. You cannot have both at present using graphite as we know it at the present time. If people want lite I direct them toward St. Croix. Want something that stands a good chance of passing the rod on to son or daughter United composites. Two options that cover all fishing & both are U.S. made except for St. Croix's Mojo Series... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

I have noticed that some rod manufacturers are claiming there poles now contain 'Graphene'. With the current cost and manufacture I struggle to believe this. Is this just another case of marketing hype overtaking reality. I.e. take a regular carbon whatever mix add a sprinkling a graphene powder (even available on fleabay) - hey presto - a graphene fishing rod. Really :-\
When someone starts selling 'graphene sheets' like prepreg carbon large enogh to roll a rod blank (graphene sheets are 1 iota/atom thick you're going to need a few ;D) - I might start believing. Until then :D

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 01, 2020, 08:44:41 PM
The issue I have with supposed "New Sauce" epoxies & new graphite is so many times a claim is made but never proven or felt.

St Croix will be releasing next generation rods. While they are not lighter than prior versions,

They already do, I own one & yes, it is lighter. As for stronger, I haven't put it on a big fish yet so the jury is still out on that.

The only concern I have about these coatings that are supposed to give added strength is that once they are scratched will that be a weak spot as much as a scratch into the blank?, which we all know a breakage waiting to happen.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

MarkT

Well, I hope the new Terez's are better than the old ones... at least with better guides.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on March 02, 2020, 04:03:43 PM
Well, I hope the new Terez's are better than the old ones... at least with better guides.

guides were/are good quality fuji K model but horrible and bad wrap job on ALL terez rods I have had in my hands.
maybe thats why you see the guides always with lots of brown feets by the corrosion

shimano needs to improve their QC on the high dollar rods.
The Baja Guy