Favorite old reels

Started by kiwiretzev, March 10, 2020, 04:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwiretzev

Hi all,

As a relative 'new-by' (3 years'ish collecting reels that I restore and use), I would be very keen to understand what your favorite reels are, and WHY. Not sure if this is the right place to post?

For example I love the Pflueger Rockets as I think they are just beautiful, plus they are solid as a rock. The British made Grice and Young centrepins are another firm favorite for me. And now I have a thing for old Penn's  -just don't tell the wife.

A friend of mine only collects and uses the Daiwa 7XXX series of reels. He loves them and I guess these could double as a weapon as well!

thanks very much
Paul

boon

Not really "old" but the Penn International II's. When I was a kid, they were THE big game reel.

I never thought I'd justify owning one, but came across one, an 80S, in somewhat rough condition for $80. It's basically a shelfie, though one day I'd love to put it on a worthy rod and try catch a nice fish on it.

Gfish

Favorite oldies: Lookin for; innovative, popular(many for sale), durable, avalibility of parts and aftermarket parts. Conventional; Penn Jigmaster series--- very popular, so avalible for relatively low prices, innovative easily removable head or tail plate and lots of upgrades avalible. Baitcaster; Abu 5000 series, same as the Jigmaster, without the thumb-screw removable side plate, but an innovative centrifugal cast control, and lots of aftermarket parts made. Spinner; the Zebco/Abu Cardinal series---unique for it's time fulcrum drag, click gear, and anti-reverse systems, and an overall quality build, aftermarket spools and other parts avalible(somewhat expensive, though).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

For spinning reels i'd pick the Shakespeare Royal Maroons, the 2052 and 2062 and the larger 2081A and 2091A.  For second place it would be a tie between the Daiwa silver or gold series and the D-A-M Quick Finessa series (110-550, 110N to 550N).

Conventionals:  Penn Surfmaster series

Baitcasting:  Abu 4600, 5000, and 6000 series.

I picked all the above on account of they're easy to service and if parts can't be found a donor reel can usually be located at an economical price.

happyhooker

Greetings, Paul, from Minnesota, USA, and glad you're aboard the AT train.

You asked about "favorite" reels, as opposed to the "greatest" or the "best" (whatever those latter terms mean).  My favorite reels to use are the Garcia Mitchell 300-types (300, 300A, 400, etc.).  Well built, decently strong (although not the strongest), quirky enough to be interesting without being too Rube Goldberg-ish, the most popular spinning reels of their time, recognized by any serious angler over 50 years old or so and many under that age as well, and guaranteed to prompt questions and conversation from any of those same people.  When I use one, I feel the heritage and history from some of angling's greatest days (1950s-1970s).  Crack one open; on the 1st time, it's a bit intimidating with all those gears; after you get to know them, they're easy to fix and maintain, if a bit putzy on occasion, and parts are usually available.  In the hand, they just "feel right" to me; the whirring of the gears and smoothness like the piece of precision machinery they are; all is right with the world when I've got one on a rod & 2X that with a fish on.

Frank

oc1

Shakespeare Tournament Freespool 1740, 1744 or unmarked. I especially like the German silver ones from late 1920's but the later chromed models perform just as well.

Langley Target from late 1950's and early 1960's.

Neither have anti-reverse, drag or levelwind.  Both are small with light weight spools on brass bushings.

-steve

foakes

The brands I like because of quality are Penn, DAM Quick, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchells.

None of these reels will let you down -- and will handle occasionally a much larger fish than they were designed for -- because of their engineering and quality components.

Plus, with just general and sensible maintenance -- they will last multiple decades of regular use -- in all types of conditions.

The above are mostly open faced spinners -- but I fish a lot of Penn spinners and conventionals as well.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CW33919

I fish the big salty almost exclusively with lots of trolling, jigging, etc. Although I do have a fair amount of spinning gear I prefer to use conventional reels.  My absolute favorite go-to reels are the Penn 49 and 349 , as well as the Jigmaster.  Solid, dependable, easy to find parts and maintain.  I fish them at least once a week year round - the only issues I ever have with them are solely due to operator error  :)
'I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and have learned much from both of their styles"

mo65

I like so many types and styles that I can't even begin to pick a favorite. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

jgp12000

I don't have many old reels,but I do like the Mitchell 300 version 6.I was born in 63',the looks,sound,and simplicity to work on make me happy.It reminds me of good times fishing with my father and great uncles.I like PENN, mostly freshwater fishing here, so I only have a 9M and a 109. I use a ABU Garcia 6500 for Striper on our annual trip to Lake Westpoint in GA.I only have one have one DAM Quick Finessa Mr. Fred is building for me. I can't wait to catch something with it! I like the fish emblems on those guys...Lew's modern reels are soooo smooth in my opinion.

Midway Tommy

I agree with Fred, although I would add a few '60s pre Japanese made Shakespeares and some Italian made spinners like Alcedo, Zangi, Cargem, Coptes & Ofmers.

With regard to conventional bait caster types, I don't fish salt water and I put all my level winds in a five gallon bucket and threw them overboard into Woman Lake in MN in 1971. I haven't fished with a bait caster since 1965.

As far as my own fishing goes, I fish exclusively with ABU, ABU/Zebco, ABU Garcia and American Classic rear fulcrum brake style reels. I prefer the greater efficiency and better stability of that drag design and the ease of adjustment while playing a fish.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 11, 2020, 07:06:53 PM
With regard to conventional bait caster types, I don't fish salt water and I put all my level winds in a five gallon bucket and threw them overboard into Woman Lake in MN in 1971. I haven't fished with a bait caster since 1965.

Guy sent me a few baitcasters for a service and restore -- from Wisconsin last year, Tom.  Judging by the condition they arrived in -- they could have been part of the bucketload you tossed overboard into Woman Lake. 

😁😁😁

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on March 11, 2020, 07:35:09 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 11, 2020, 07:06:53 PM

Guy sent me a few baitcasters for a service and restore -- from Wisconsin last year, Tom.  Judging by the condition they arrived in -- they could have been part of the bucketload you tossed overboard into Woman Lake. 

😁😁😁

Best, Fred

:D :D ;D ;D ;D!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)