Refreshed a pair of Penn 49’s

Started by TheReelShop, April 10, 2020, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

Whats up guys,

Recently finished servicing and repairing/upgrading these. Came out really nice.. one of the reels had a bad spool fortunately Sal came through and had a spare NOS spool. Once completed this thing was perfect!! These also received SS Sleeves from Cortez Conversions and Alan Tani signature handles!!

How I received them

Cleaned up

mo65

Nice work! I really like Alan's handles...and I don't have a single one...I need to get a few. They look so functional, I bet the feel is fantastic. Did you upgrade the drags? I'm not sure they even need an upgrade. The stock setup with carbon fibers is strong. The 49 is such a cool reel, all the history, yet still is a very usable reel. They are of course, a trolling reel, but they get used many other ways. Like those 49As for Africa. I've been so tempted to catfish my 49s, I believe they would work great for tossing out baits. Those reels look great. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Looks great !

as to the tossing bait, Mo....I can "sorta' cast" mine (with aluminum, or plastic spools), but, they set high enough that thumbing the spool is sorta' tricky....for a big, fat man, I have fairly small hands. The heavier chrome spools are another issue...I can't toss with those, worth a darn !!  I knot up the line so bad >:(!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Crow on April 10, 2020, 08:02:31 PM
As to the tossing bait, Mo....I can "sorta' cast" mine (with aluminum, or plastic spools), but, they set high enough that thumbing the spool is sorta' tricky.

That's the key word..."toss". Just lobbing it out a few yards into the river is about all I can do.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

TheReelShop

Quote from: mo65 on April 10, 2020, 07:28:06 PM
   Nice work! I really like Alan's handles...and I don't have a single one...I need to get a few. They look so functional, I bet the feel is fantastic. Did you upgrade the drags? I'm not sure they even need an upgrade. The stock setup with carbon fibers is strong. The 49 is such a cool reel, all the history, yet still is a very usable reel. They are of course, a trolling reel, but they get used many other ways. Like those 49As for Africa. I've been so tempted to catfish my 49s, I believe they would work great for tossing out baits. Those reels look great. 8)

Thanks Mo,

One of these came with the Carbon drags, so I went ahead and cut him out a set for the other. Yes prior to working on them you would feel a small metal rubbing sound and now when you turn the handle  or spin the spool in free its super quiet. really happy with the turnout. I've seen thee with wire on them in the past.

Donnyboat

Nice work, brought them back to life, many years of work in them now, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Nice clean work Adrian, he should be very happy with your service.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 11, 2020, 12:07:22 AM
Nice clean work Adrian, he should be very happy with your service.

Sal

Thanks again for your help Sal

Cuttyhunker

Mo,
Fish em, great old girls!! All I've done with mine is a carbontex stack and the boss's suggestion of a 113 carbontex underneath.  If you have "guests" that aren't reel smart I'd suggest tying off the drag disengagement lever with a piece of small twine to the closest pillar when in the "drag on" position.  Folks do the damnest things on a boat even after explaining the rules of the road, so to speak.
Doomed from childhood