April three, still free

Started by Tightlines667, April 06, 2020, 09:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Jay invited me to join him on a friends 20' Whaler on Saturday. We were going to head to Penguin for Ono, until I heard the reports of Ahi out west, and saw the temp break setup between CO and the Pinnacle. Predicted bite was between 1000-1200hrs, so we took our time getting to the launch. Me and Jay supplied all of the bait, ice, and gear.

We rigged up some makeshift outriggers, and ballyhoo dinks and islander pin rigs on 150lb mason line, dropped the boat in at 0645hrs, and ran 14nm @ 300deg.

Arrived on scene set a 5 bait spread ballyhoo and worked a group of small kine Aku and Short-finned Pilot whales before heading up to CO.

Found more Aku outside CO, worked 500 west for 4 miles, 1000 fa back, then turned S towards pinnacle. Caught/released a Kaku on longrigger.

At around 1100, as we approached Pinnacle found a small kine bird pile and bang the planer rod went off, less than 1 minute later, I saw a silver flash and the long center went off. After 15 minutes and a little musical rods we landed 2 nice 60-70lb class Shibis.

We worked the area for another 90 minutes with no more love, then headed in towards 500fa, which we trolled north, then back to the dock by 330pm.

All in all a great day on the water.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

very nice!  which island???
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on April 06, 2020, 10:33:11 PM
very nice!  which island???

Outside of Waianae, Oahu.  

We have a had a few nice early season Yellowfin Tuna bites this winter/spring.  These were my first this year.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Ron Jones

I used to watch you guys fish that line from my window. Great job!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Lunker Larry

With everything going on I'm surprised this is still allowed.
Is it really worth the risk?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Cor

Quote from: Lunker Larry on April 07, 2020, 02:41:25 PM
Here it is not, but I would probably not have a serious problem going on a boat with only two people, if I know the other party.
Or am I being risky and stupid?
Cornelis

Benni3

Fantastic trip and very nice fish,,,,, :D great job,,,,,,,, ;D

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Cor on April 07, 2020, 03:10:49 PM
Quote from: Lunker Larry on April 07, 2020, 02:41:25 PM
Here it is not, but I would probably not have a serious problem going on a boat with only two people, if I know the other party.
Or am I being risky and stupid?

Testing has shown there is a large section of the population coming up asymptomatic during testing. They may look and act healthy but can pass it along. It is now in every corner of the world. My fishing buddy of over 20 years and I may be dying to get out but we don't want that interpreted literally.

We have to make some really tough decisions to curb this thing. As a spoiled society it is hard to give up the things we love and the freedom to enjoy them.
Stay safe everyone.
LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

conchydong

Now that is what I call a thorough fishing report. Great job!

Scott