Penn 9500SS - rebuild, handle, drag and 12-tooth ratchet upgrade

Started by redsetta, November 29, 2011, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

If I had any real talent, it'd be made it out of carbon fibre.  ;) ;D
That's great info Sal - thanks (I've got a bunch of ratchet gears here with no part numbers).
I haven't got any costs on this yet - the water-jet people cut it on spec so I could test the design.
Once that's worked out, we'll have a better idea whether it's an affordable option.
They certainly seem willing to give this stuff a crack, though.
Any thoughts on improvements etc are welcome of course!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

redsetta

G'day all,
Just a quick update on the 12-tooth gear evolution...
Here's the final version (right) which just arrived today, relative to the original (left) and my first attempt (middle).

The fit against the dogs and the depth of each tooth seem spot on.
It also fits to the underside of the spool much better than either the original or earlier version.
Being marine-grade S/S, I expect it to handle pretty much anything...
It's basically a replica of the old school Japanese bluefin customs of yesteryear - and an affordable super spinner.

I'll talk to the engineers on Monday about doing a run of maybe 50.
PM if you'd like one...
Cheers, Justin

redsetta

G'day all,
A quick update on the S/S gear and dog upgrade...
The gears arrived today, along with a couple of sample S/S dogs (marine grade 316) to try out.
Here are the gears - I got 20 cut.

Here are the sample S/S dogs, relative to the standard unit.

Here's how they all fit together.

And here's it all fitted into the reel.

I'll need to do some testing with the dogs before getting a small run done - maybe 40 or so to start.
Will let you know how it goes.
Righto - all the best, Justin
PS I'll put the gears on Alan's 'For Sale' page as soon as I get the chance.

Alto Mare

Justin, all I can say is Amazing! Those parts look sweet. You just removed one of the only flaw that the ss models have. We are blessed having you and Lee here on this site and of course you Alan...ok the moderators as well. Oh  heck, and the rest of you guys also, we are one big orchestra here that play well together and Alan is the Maestro ;). Nice going Justin, are those dogs for the 650 and 750-850-9500? Thanks for bringing them to the table, can't wait to get my hands on those. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Clem

Mate I am going to have to get one of these reels just to use your upgrade   :)

alantani

very nice.  that is one "for sale" post that will definitely get a sticky!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Hello Justin, I finally got a chance to install the parts that you sent, thanks again mate.
Thanks to Irish Jigger, I'm also replacing the aluminum-magnesium gears with  brass gears, cheers Tom!

By the way, just a quick tip: when the wife steps out of the house, grab one of her cookie sheets and bolt it to the work bench...she'll never know ;D

It helps working on reels, especially if you screw it down as I did, it also helps keeping small parts in place

Here are the parts installed, I did not bother making the bent wire where the transfer lever used to be, I didn't think  it's needed.
Right now I have the option to engage just the top dog or just the bottom or both at the same time

I couldn't quite get the spring installed at the proper angle, so I had to bring you to the work bench ;D

And here is the finished reel

The clicking is about 50% sharper and the dogs are engaging nicely, I really like it. Justin, I will keep you and the others posted when I take it out to test it. Thanks again for bringing this nice product to us, as you already know, the ss model is one of my favorite reel.
The dogs on the ss model are the only things that didn't hold up, thanks to you we now have one of the best spinner in its class. Talk to you later. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Thank's Sal, you guys are so innovative. ;D
Now take that reel to Cape cod and try for a Bluefin Tuna.  I'm sure it would be up for the challenge. ;)

redsetta

Great work Sal.
Really like the handle/arm, is that from Accurate?
Also like the manual bail set-up (my next upgrade methinks)...
Hope it produces some good fish for ya! ;) ;D
Cheers mate, Justin

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on May 27, 2012, 10:39:30 PM
Great work Sal.
Really like the handle/arm, is that from Accurate?
Also like the manual bail set-up (my next upgrade methinks)...
Hope it produces some good fish for ya! ;) ;D
Cheers mate, Justin
Hello Justin, the handle is a stock handle from a Penn 750ss, all I did was to replace the pivot. The knob is from the same ebay seller that I purchase all of my ss handles from: http://myworld.ebay.com/fishingreel79/. The manual bail is a good thing and it doesn't cost that much, you don't want to deal with a bent bail when a nice fish is on. Love this set up Justin, you've made this reel a serious fishing machine ;). Later bud. Sal

Harry

Wow!!! nice work guys!

One day now i might have the balls to open up an eggbeater too after reading this.
Confidence is building.

Nice upgrades!

This is an addictive site and ive been bitten by the bug.

Lucky i dont own more than 1 penn eggbeater is all i can say ...for now anyway !

cheers Harry

redsetta

QuoteThis is an addictive site and ive been bitten by the bug.
Great to hear Harry - you're among friends... ;) ;D
All the best, Justin

Black Widow Tackle

What are the parts needed to make the conversion?  I have a usa made 650, 750 and 850 that I want to do.  Where can I get the brass gears too?
Thanks guys!