Penn 9500SS - rebuild, handle, drag and 12-tooth ratchet upgrade

Started by redsetta, November 29, 2011, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day BWT,
I've only done S/S dogs for the 7500/8500/9500SS so far, and the 12-tooth gear is for the 9500SS.
These dogs will fit the first-generation 750 and 850SS.
They're all listed here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4256.0
PM me if you'd like some.
If there's sufficient demand, I'll design some gears for the smaller SS series, but I haven't had a lot of interest to date.
Re: the brass main gears, try here: https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/KIT8N-750.aspx
These fit both the 750 and 850SS.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

ACDIII

Any update on the 12-tooth ratchet for a Penn 750SS/7500SS?

redsetta

Not yet AC - only because demand appears very limited and there's quite a lot of time and cost involved in designing the gear, coding into AutoCAD, prototyping and producing the first run...
If a few more people express an interest, I can produce the gear in about a fortnight.
Cheers, Justin

ACDIII

Thanks....just started using the Penn 750SS and 7500SS over newer equipment and I love these reels...man are they strong. Please keep me in mind if you decide to proceed with the gear. 

Andy

redsetta

Ezgo

I just changed out my old diawa BC9000 reel for the Penn 9500 SS so very interested to anything about this penn reel. I fish off the rocks in Cali and usually 12-50 feet above the water so my equipment takes a good beating everytime I go out.

Thanks

Alto Mare

You will like that reel Ezgo. With some minor upgrades you'll have a reel that won't let you down.
I'm hoping that yours is a 9500ss and not the 950ssm, those are different.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ezgo

Sal,
It looks like I have the older Penn reel the 9500ss.  I got it used but looks to be in good shape. I am looking forward to trying it out this weekend on the Cali Coast with my 11' Diawa Graphite stick. I will let everyone know my experiences with this reel when I get back. My old Diawa reel was a hog of a model that held up for many years, but lost its bail nut the 1st time I took it fishing so was not impressed. I did rig it with a replacement nut that I scavenged from my dads old spare parts bin in his garage. The parts a bunch of odds and ends from all types of mechanical projects. To say I could find something that would fit in a few minutes so I could go fishing was lucky in itself However, it was not a very elegant reel and had plastic parts and a wobbly wind handle. The Penn Gold is something of a refinement and I can already appreciate it over any reel I have ever owned.

Thanks again and will keep you posted on my fishing experience.
Jim

Alto Mare

Very good Jim.
I just want to mention that there has been some discussions here about the dog screws getting loose on these reels, I never experienced that problem, however, the rotor nut did get loose on me once. I now use low strength loctite (purple) on all of my spinners. If you decide to use loctite, stay away from the high strength (red) this will damage your reel. Two of my 9500ss that I puschased had the red loctite on the threads, they both got damaged when I was trying to remove the screws, I still like these reels quite a bit, the SS models are the only spinners I own.
Good luck with yours and please report back and let us know if you like it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jaredbolen

Justin tried to pm you but didn't go thru. Are these 12 tooth washers and dogs still available ?

redsetta

G'day Jared,
Yep, sure are.
PM or email me your address and I'll get a kit in the post for ya.
Cheers, Justin

Ezgo

I recently went to the Cali North Coast and used my Penn 9500 for the first time and loved it. It is a vast improvement over my old Diawa BW9000 reel. The 9500 is very sturdy and strong reel and has no problem making long casts over kelp beds and pulling my rigs back through the kelp. Unforturnately, I did not land any fish but my kids landed quite a few Kelp Bass and Rock Bass using Penn 7500 and a 6500 respectively. It was also the first time we tried both of those reels. I picked up all three used off Ebay and can not be more pleased with the performance of all of them. 

Alto Mare

Ezgo, I'm glad you like those reel, I have a couple myself ;).  There are lots of smoother reels out there, but I found that their smoothness is short-lived. The SS will give you the same performance everytime you go out. I've been using them for a while now and they never let me down. Correction! They let me down two years ago on the golf side of Florida, when the Kayak that me and my son were using capsized and I lost two nice 650ss, along with some other good stuff. We made it back Ok though.
If any of you guys live close to Sanibel, keep your eyes open when fishing, you might find them. I'm sure you'll still be able to use them ;D.
Sal

ChileRelleno

Just did this mod using parts I acquired from Lee.

Sprung stainless Double Dogs & 12 tooth ratchet.

I used an original dog as a limiter for the bottom dog.
Does the stainless or brass wires, ya'll switched to work better/easier?

Dang, this reel is now noisier than a nympho with fresh batteries.  ;D
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Sounds like noise is a big issue with you, you've mentioned it a couple of times. You might not want to upgrade these older Penn reels and go for one with the ARB system......good luck with it  :-\.
I have an 18 tooth ratchet, might be 24 I don't remember...it's like music to my ears ;).
I just don't get it why the sound of perfectly working dogs bother some :-\
We're not writing a book, we're actually fishing ::).