Penn 9500SS - rebuild, handle, drag and 12-tooth ratchet upgrade

Started by redsetta, November 29, 2011, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2013, 07:16:19 PM
Sounds like noise is a big issue with you, you've mentioned it a couple of times. You might not want to upgrade these older Penn reels and go for one with the ARB system......good luck with it  :-\.
I have an 18 tooth ratchet, might be 24 I don't remember...it's like music to my ears ;).
I just don't get it why the sound of perfectly working dogs bother some :-\
We're not writing a book, we're actually fishing ::).
Sal, I'm being facetious...  Combine content of last comment with smiley and you should infer my jest.  ::)
I could could give a darn less, but the difference is worth commenting on.
Next time I've a big Bull Red/Black, shark or Hoo, I'm sure I will not have time to even notice the clickety clackety.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

redsetta

Cheers Daron.
PS I'm all out of gears and dogs now, so get in touch with Lee (Keta) if you're seeking either.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bullpen

I'm looking for 12 tooth ratchets for the 9500ss...please get in touch with me if you know where i can find them...

thanks

jonnou

I especially liked the bit when  You were so calm about being called an Aussie :o :-\

veracruz110

Hello Gurus:
Just a quick question regarding the ss ratchet and dogs. I do a 7500s with brass gears, in excellent shape, have drag mods and like to upgrade to the ss rachet and dogs..
That being said,I like to see if any of you would be  able to sell me those items. I really like the setup.

And by the way, I like to congratulate every one in the board or site, you guys are awesome, and motivate all timers like me ,to get back in to tinkering with older equipment.

best regards to all and happy fishing!!!!

PROUD VIET NAM VET

Bryan Young

Adam has them available in Ti for $20 I believe.  Try looking here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10216.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

veracruz110

Thank you kindly Gents..
already ordered the Titanium kit from Adam last night :D

I do have another question..
When I did upgrade the drag I used 3 carbon fiber washers and got rid of the Teflon one in the inside of the spool stack, however in the shaft behind the spool where the clicker is, sit another teflon washer, it is ok if I do replace that one with CF? Is that the spool spacer to regulate the line laid?
Will it hurt anything performance wise? If I can do it, how much drag can I get?

sorry for so many questions, but i want to do the right thing and with the help of you experts is the only way..

Best to all of you...

Hiram

Alto Mare

Some like to use a carbon fiber washer there, I like to replace it with a Delrin washer. Experiment for yourself and see what works best to you, those washers are not that expensive. You want to make sure that the thrust washer is of the same thickness if you do replace it, or your line won't sit properly on the spool when you reel it in.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

veracruz110

Thank you Sal,

I will try to get some Delrin washers, but being south of the border is very hard to find any kind of parts or materials  ???

I will try with the CF to see if it work properly, if not I will replace back the Teflon to original configuration. I used the one that I replaced and drill a little to accommodate there.. Will see. ::)

Saludos!

Alto Mare

Send me a personal message with your address and I'll make you a couple. Let me know which reel.
Sal

ktugboat42

Im going to be servicing my two 9500ss and after reading this thread i decided to buy 2 upgrade kits.
One reel was going to be for parts reel but now i'll upgrade it also.
I may have a few questions about the install when the time comes but we'll see.
Pete

ktugboat42

I plan on catching YFT in the Gulf of Mexico with this reel so im upgrading the ratchet system
and i decided to upgrade the drag also.

Quick (dumb) question about the drag upgrade.
Did you order the 6-950m ht drag washer for the 950ssm or the 9500ss?
Since its going into the 9500ss, i assume you would order it for the 9500ss.

This reel will be kick #### and i thank you guys for this forum/thread.
Pete

Shark Hunter

tugboat,
You will probably have to upgrade it to the ssm style drag. The 9500 ss has a drag washer glued to a plastic disc. I don't think they are available anymore. You will need the conversion kit to make it work.
Look at this link and then click on the conversion kit instructions. Just the drag washer is not going to help unless it has been upgraded to the ssm style. You have any more questions. Just ask.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-950MSP.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

ktugboat42

Perfect. Thank you.  I couldnt find that on Scotts site.
With the ratchet and drag upgrade, YFT dont have a chance.  lol
Pete